1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Haden61, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

I did some searching and still have questions. Last year two of the plowers that worked as subs for the same company I do tried poly edges. They installed them 3/4" below the steel, the edges lasted less than one plowing, 12 hours or less. Not near as long as steel, did not clean as well, I understand that it will not clean as well but I was under the impression that they would out last steel many times. The company paid for it as a test, to get over man covers and such. Worked great for that. We had a meeting about trying them again, I was asked to ask how,what and what the ---- they could be doing that they do not last. 9' plows with pro wings on both. The wings should help by carring some of the weight.? Your help please. Thanks Haden
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Well i have read some information on these such cutting edges. I actually saw a few of the different ones used in my town. Many Municipalities and DOT's have resorted to different types of these "composite" edges with tremendous reductions in wear. I guess the best advice is to shop around and maybe swing by the local municipal garage and talk to their head guy about what types of these composite edges have worked the best to minimize edge wear.

3. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

We tried a u edge last year and I was very impressed on how well it worked. There should be a few threads on the topic if you do a search under "u edge" and "poly edge".

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

you tried the wrong brand of urethane apparently. Make sure to use these next time..

With arctic groomer edges you will hardly be able to break them in after one good plowing.

I am on the third year with my edge on my truck.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have one and it has not really worn much at all, with one light season on it....there are many different grades and thicknesses, so make sure you get the material that mathces the application
  6. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the input, I will call the NH location and do some research on the type of edge they suggest. I know it was an inch thick edge they had used last year. Do you think the compound of the edges that they tried last year would be on the shipping papers that came with the edges? What compound and thickness should we use on 9' plows at parking lot speeds? Thanks, Haden
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The problem is how the edges were mounted. If you had them mounted with 3/4" below the steel, that is not enough. The edge cannot flex enough. If the edges are 1.5" thick, then you should have about 1.25" - 1.5" below the steel edge exposed.

Brand (composition) does make a difference. Many here know from experience that Arctic Groomer edges last a long time.

Plowking35 can elaborate much more on proper mounting.

8. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

The edges were tried at 1.5" at first but would not stay on the surface, they jumped. Then they moved them to 3/4". They did not jump but did not last a plowing. The edges are 1" thick, so if they were 1.5" and you are to put them down 1.25 to 1.5" they should of already been at (3/4") the correct point. The company had 2 brands and only tried one. It was the harder of the 2 brands, judging by the physical touch and texture. Any more ideas? Thanks Haden
  9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Polyurethane edges tend to "chatter" a bit until they set an edge.

This may take a couple of plowings to set this edge, then the "jumping or chatter" disappear.

Some people have also beveled the edge a bit to speed up this "setting"

Dino (plowking35) is definitely the person to talk to ... for sure!
  10. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I know I haven't posted here in a while, but I figured I'd throw my two-cents in.

I bought a couple of U-edges last season from Dino, and let me tell you... they're worth EVERY penny! The main parking lot I did was littered with speed-bumps and potholes, and curbs in strange places. Needless to say, this parking lot was about 100-times more abusive than most driveways and other lots. The U-edge did a fine job of cleaning the snow, and an even better job of taking the impact out of those bumps, holes, & curbs. The way I look at it, it's more like insurance for your equipment (and you) than just a cutting edge. Oh, and mine got a lot of use last year, and is barely worn in. Talk to Dino... he'll set you up with the right one.

11. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

I spoke with the company that sold us the edges and they are going to get back with us. The best we can tell is that we needed at least 1.5" thick or 2" on the 9' plows. I also spoke with Dino and we are going to try a edge from them. We will research the compound of last years and Dino's also. We are wanting to try this on my 18' wing plow to stay out of trouble with man holes and such. Plow will weigh in at around 1450#, will 2" do the job? Or should we go to 2.5",3" or more? I would hope that we could run most the season (60-80hr.) before a move on the edge, because I know we are taking some $ here. If we go with 3" so it will last, do we or how much do we loose on cleaning? Thanks, Haden