1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Edge, how long?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jun 17, 2002.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to put a poly edge on my snoway and am going to cut it a bit long for scraping curbs and such. Question is, how much should it stick out beyond the blade on each side? I'd think at least 1.5 inches, but not more than 2.75". I'm looking for the perfect length. Thanks, and hope everyones' summers are going well, Nick.

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Mine are all 6" longer than the moldboard, with the extra split between the 2 sides, 3 inches overhang each side.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

1.952364784215698745321" is the perfect amount of overhang.
    Anywhere between 1.5-3" will work fine, its all in the personal preference. IMO, I would start at 3", you can always cut it down.
    Dino

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

I would have to say that it depends on the thickness and length of the edge that you purchased and how aggressive of a plower you are. We have sold edges to plowers that drive their "own truck" and have a 2' over hang on a 1" thick edge and have had excellent corner wear, but I don't think that they are plowing areas that have alot of concrete curbing. The problem with having to much over hang occurs when you are windrowing or hit something with the corner, an over extended edge tends to flex back around the square bottom corner of the angle on the moldboard and is punctured upon "hard" impact with curbing or other objects. Of coarse this problem decreases when thicker edges are used or has had the corners reinforced. As far as a "perfect" length it's really up to you depending on your plowing style. John