1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly edge are they good

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bounty21061, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

just want to get some thoughts on the cutting edges i'm thinking about getten one but still trying to find somewhere to the western dealer i went to said he nevered heard of them also is it good to run shoes with them

2. ghost

ghost Member

poly

I never had poly but i know a few people who have tried it as a blade, not shoes. They have all said the same thing and so has my local dealer. Your blade will last a whole lot longer than steel but if you hve anything but fluff to plow forget it. They just dont scrape ice or hard pack. I thuoght about going that way a few years ago and there a fews thread that talk about it but I found you just cant beat steel. If this is your first time to replace your blade get a thicker 1 than what your plow came with. It will last longer

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and Yes, they are worth it. Do a search, but here's a quick answer.

The argument about hardpack and ice, how good does steel really scrape hardpack and\or ice? We're talking a very, very marginal difference here. BTW, if customers want bare pavement, they need to pay for de-icing and then it still isn't guaranteed because I can't control the weather.

Light, fluffy snow only?? Who told you this? By your own admission this isn't by experience. We have been using poly for at least 5 years now on every type of snow-light, wet\heavy, slush\slop--it works fine for the most part. You can get some chatter occasionally if the pavement is dry, but don't let this stop you.

Advantages. Absorb impact from manholes, catch basins, varying height pavement (all small obstructions) which translates into less wear and tear on your plow and truck which translates into less repairs\maintenance which means more money in your pocket. This alone makes them worthwhile to me.

Quieter. You don't realize how loud the plow is until you try a urethane edge, then you won't want to go back.

Longer lasting. They are more expensive up front, but they will outlast steel by a huge margin. #1 you get multiple uses out of a standard 6" edge by flipping it. #2 They just plain last longer than steel for some reason. I can't explain it, but they do even a heavy plow like the Blizzard.

Out of all my plows, I have one that has a steel edge yet just because it is a totally different trip mechanism than any other out there.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Mark,
    Where did you get your edges?

5. Mark Oomkes

I believe that Pine Island Services is a dealer for MPT, he is a member here.

For the Polar Edge contact uedges at rogers . com (minus the spaces, plus the @ symbol)

6. John H

John H Junior Member
    from Maine

I would contact Snow Engineering in Grand Rapids MI. Denny Cullin is the contact I believe. Or Ebling and Son in MI someplace.

7. Mark Oomkes

Both are in GR. I have bought from both as well.
    Snow Engineering--616-452-6482
    Ebling--616-532-8400

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Thank you. I am mainly looking for some polt edges to go on my wings.

9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Contact Allan - he will hook you up with all the poly blades -edges you need.
    Make sure and tell him Rob Pg sent you !!

polyplowparts@yahoo.com