1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowmanMills, Dec 13, 2011.

1. SnowmanMills

SnowmanMills Junior Member

New to the field with poly boys... The thing shows up. 2 sets of bolt holes, one set of bolts. Distributor is no help in telling me how to mount this. Ive never used a poly cutting edge. I have my ideas but want to get the most use out of it and want to put it on correct. I need somebody who, "knows what the hell they are talking about".... Cuz the guy on the phone just sells it. Who's got my back???

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Are the holes lined up vertically or horizontally? Maybe you need to use the lower holes, if vertical, and then flip the edge and use the other holes when it wears down. The poly is not as rigid, so, with it that way you would have less leverage on the edge. Therefore, i you will get more use out of the poly edge.

kevlars

3. SnowmanMills

SnowmanMills Junior Member

Yes they are vertical. I read about conditioning the new edge somewhere else.... Do this? Should I use the plow feet! I thought this edge would be more rigid and not like a jello pudding pop.. Seems like a pain in the ass to have to switch the edge around down the road as it wears. In my mind, I'm not seeing this 400 dollar investment lasting 5 times longer than steel... Any tips on using it in the field? Thanks

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You will need to drag it backwards on concrete. I have to do it on wet concrete to keep it from chattering until you get the edge beveled to your plows attack angle. That's about all I know.

Good luck, kevlars