1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Cutting Edge Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DGODGR, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I don't have any experience with poly edges so I request some education. I am bidding a subdivision that is requesting I leave an inch of snow on the pavement. I think this is to prevent damage to the roads. I am not sure about the logic here. If I am going to leave 1" I would have to set the feet on my plows. I never set the feet...even on gravel roads. I find it much easier to "feel" what the plow is doing and the feet just dig down through the gravel anyway. My specific concern about this particular site is that the feet will be in contact with the pavement and thus it may be doing exactly what they are trying to prevent in the first place. This thinking brought me to the poly idea yet I have many questions:
    What poly "grade" or type should I look for?
    How thick should I get?
    How long will it last?
    What cost per hour increase, if any, should I expect if I switch over?
    What are the pros and cons of poly over steel?
    What else do I need to know/ask that I have not already listed here?
    I would like to get them a quote by Monday so your prompt replies would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I just looked at Fall Line. Has any one have any experience with them?

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Thanks snocrete. Any info on round about prices? :salute:

To the OP. You must sell them on clearing to pavement. Leaving an inch has the potential for freeze over and ruts which will be harder to plow the next snow fall. I would never agree to leaving an inch on top of what I am plowing unless it is gravel.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I wanted to clarify my "rough" price on the UHMW....that is for raw peices that I had to cut and drill for my needs. The rubber & urethane were already cut to fit and drilled.

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Thanks for contributing to the thread Mike.

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Agreed, sometimes I am amazed what clients ask for, this one makes no sense it will only cause headaches. You have to stand firm as the snow professional and offer solutions like you are discussing on here. Thumbs Up

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Thanks for weighing in Paul. I think I have the right idea here, with poly, but I would like to find a few suppliers. I know that I will have to come up with a good price point, to get the job, but I am finding the edges are a bit pricey and I have NO CLUE as to how long I can expect them to last. Where are you getting your UHMW from?

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We buy it here in Montreal, I will buy sheets that are 4x8 feet 2 inchs thick. Once cut and drilled it costs me around $220.00 for a 4 inch wide blade. I will take some pics tomorrow and show how we attach the blades to our blowers. Have never tried one on a pusher before.

13. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

We tried UHMW cutting edges last year and got the from a place in Orangeville, Ontario. They were 1.5 inches thick 4 inches wide and 9 feet long and cost us $70.00 a piece cut and we had to drill them. They were more money if you only wanted a couple but we took 11 which is how many they could get out of 1 sheet. The guy I was dealing with told me the stuff we were get was recycled UHMW and was more wear resistaint that virgin UHMW. The name of the company is Technicor. Their # (519) 941-6120 www.technicor.ca.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thanks Bi-Directional I am going to check them out, thats right in my back yard so to speak.

15. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

Becareful when going to your backyard as you'll drive right through my house.:waving:

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Sorry everyone for I misinformed you by saying our blades were 2 inches thick. They are 11/2 inches thick, you would think that I would know 2 inches when I see it since that's our trigger depth.

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What is the wear factor on these?

Do you replace them a couple times a year or will one last through the season?
    They also must really lighten up the plow weight. Is there any drawback from less weight?

Thanks.

18. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've been thinking about putting UHMW on my pushers. I found Port Plastics http://www.portplastics.com/ in Denver. They quoted me about $60 for a 1.5" x 6" x 4' section. With 3 sections per pusher, that's only $180.

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Oh man the jokes I could come up with from that material ^^^!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I'll keep it clean since there could be kids viewing!!

:waving:

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You know what, as soon as I pressed submit, I went OMG someone is going to have a field day with this. Thanks for keeping it clean Steve LOL :drinkup: