1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Caster Spreader Module

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JDT, Nov 30, 2008.

1. JDT

JDT Member

I have a poly caster going on 2 years now. This year it wouldn't run. I traced it to the "Spreader Module". Has anyone else had this problem? After I figured out it had a 2 yr warranty I took it to the dealer I bought it from, it should be fixed under warranty. Just curious to see how many ppl are having the same problems..

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah. I bought mine at the beginning of last season. After a couple storms I started having trouble with it. The motor was physically locking up and I had to keep resetting. I called my dealer, he said to do whatever I needed to finish my run. He said they were having trouble with the motors, and put a new motor on. My new motor has a stainless steel case. By this time, the module was defective, which he replaced. I just put on a new chain for less than $30, and grabbed a spare belt. Runs smooth as silk now.

3. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

This sounds dumb but check for a short in the line from the battery to plug in the back. i had a short out last yeat. The way they are run under the truck with all of the salt you could have the smallest "kink" in the electrical line.

4. JDT

JDT Member

Gentleman,
    Thank you. I checked for kinks and everything in mine, it came down to the spreader module. Hopefully that will be the only problem this year. Any suggestions on a spray application I put on the outside of the motor to keep the salt from effecting it even more?
    Have any of you put a hole in yours or had anything else happen?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My new motor case is stainless, so corrosion isn't a problem. When the original went, i was told they were going bad in big numbers. You might try to get your dealer to warranty the motor for you. Of course, maybe the problem was last years units only. As for the rust, probably wire brush and paint. Fluid Film would probably work real well on this.