1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Blades???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smoore45, Oct 10, 2008.

1. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Who has any experience with them? I've decided to give up on my Northman setup and get 7.5 light duty for my 1/2 ton. Is it worth it to go to poly or should I stick with steel? Right now I'm leaning towards a Boss. Thanks for any feedback.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I love my poly, snow doesnt seem to stick to it and I like the fact that the moldboard will not rust on me.

3. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I went from steel (Fisher) to a Boss Poly V. Have to admit the poly holds up very well, and there is much less rust concerns with that type plow, although the frame, cylinders, etc. could still rust, if not properly maintained. As for snow sticking to it, I guess less sticks to it than steel. -But if you get the right "mix" it will still stick to anything! Also my boss poly is actually heavier than the same size/style steel plow, if that is a consideration for you.

4. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Thanks. The models I am looking at weigh roughly the same(within 40lbs) so I'm not too worried about that. Do you remember what the price difference between the poly and steel was? Also have you ever heard of someone cracking or breaking their poly plow?

5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

The poly straight blades are approximately $80 more than the steel and the V plow poly's are about $260 more than the steel. Consider the SmartLock cylinders if you are going with the V plow and if you have any intention of doing any back dragging. Best of luck to you!!

I have never heard of someone cracking their poly moldboard as they are every bit of impact resistant as the steel. Not to say that it couldnt happen given the right situation...also, beware that the poly will fade if exposed to lots of sunlight. They actually look pink once they are faded. Farely easy to replace should you crack it or want to replace the faded moldboard.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

No I have not. But I guess anything is possible. I think what you are really asking is if they (-poly blades) are heavy duty and durable, in my opinion they are both. The poly is really some pretty tough material, and I believe they have a very good working track record across brand names, -or else you would be hearing of numerous end users complaints. I've plowed some pretty tough heavy ice covered snow with it, -taking my time, and it did not have any damage at all. Often times its the operator who can make all the different in equipment failures. IMO

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Looking to outfit a jeep wrangler with poly...your thoughts please

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a steel molbord again. I have 1 poly and 2 steel boss's. The poly is faded, but not rusted. I like my poly plow. I poked a small hole in it at a gas station a couple years ago. It's not bad enough to replace, just a small gouge. It just looks better at 6 years old than a steel would at the same age.