1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly blade v.s. curbs, etc.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by micojj, Jan 15, 2006.

1. micojj

micojj Junior Member

I recently installed a Boss 7.5' poly on my 1/2 ton Dodge (blade is two years old.) Before this I used an old (cable controled) western steel blade. My only concern is running into things such as curbs. I've bumped into many things with the steel blade and have done no damage whatsoever. Just wondering if I need to be much more cautious with the ploy. I never hit curbs and such at high speeds. I'm usually plowing fairly slow and do mostly a few driveways, nothing commercial.

Also, I've heard stories here about a few people here with indifferences with Boss dealers. I checked with a local dealer about a new blade and he wanted almost 600 bucks to install it. I wanted to buy the blade and install it myself and he wouldn't do it. He said even if he would, he would not warranty any part of it. So I ended up buying one that was two years old (off the same truck) for almost 1/2 of what the dealer quoted me.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran into a Hiniker dealer once that wouldn't warranty anything that a customer installed or had previously worked on.

A dealer is a dealer no matter what brand, they've all got their own "quirks".

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a set of curb guards.

4. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Curb Guards

Hi,

New To Plowing What Are Curb Guards?

Tnx,
    Rich

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have 1 Boss poly v and 2 Boss steel v's. The poly is nice because the snow doesn't stick to it AS BAD. Don't let any dealer tell you that snow WON'T stick to poly. I've got a few scuffs in the poly material, but it wasn't from curbs. If you something like a post or big jagged rock in the snow it might mar it up a little, but for the most part they are pretty durable. As far as curbs go I always hit the curb with the cutting edge instead of the poly molboard. The up side is that you don't have to worry about repainting them every year, just give them a quick coat of wax.

7. amar

amar Member

I have two 8'2" poly's no wories about hitting curbs with the mold board. Just dosent happen. Some scraches from rocks no big deal. $600 install is BS $400 here in MI

8. NEAL

NEAL Member

I was running a Western poly plow last year with pro wings. I was worried about the durability of the poly myself but after using it and "testing" it I was sold. No worries from me about poly.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

BobcatService

With curb guards and a good cutting edge you shoud not have any trouble. I plow all blacktop and could not image what i would hit to hurt the poly. I do agree with someone elses post about snow sticking to the poly. It sure sticks very well. So far i feel the only advantage of the poly is it wont rust.

mike