1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CityGuy, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Head lights on in commercial lots

1. Lights on

72.9%
  2. Lights off/Markers on

27.1%
  1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

How many people run with no headlights in lighted commercial lots?

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i try to if i can, saves on the batteries

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Lights off :dizzy:
    All you need is that one idiot who slips in and blamo...No Thanks.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Headlights or Plowlights????

I never run my headlights when plowing.

I run my plowlights at all times...sometimes I will turn them off if there is no one around during the day.

I couldn't vote on your poll cause I had no options...and how do you turn off your markers??...my plow markers are on my plow..:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok let me clarify. How many people turn their plow lights of at night and plow with just their marker lights on?

I prefer to run with just my marker lights on when plowing at night to save on battery.

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I think he means headlights off, parking lights on. Headlights meaning plow headlights, as most of us dont have a separate switch.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

ahh beat me to it

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ditto:drinkup:

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Those lights are not called "marker" lights...there called "running" lights.

Just running those is not going to anything substantial to save your battery at night....not moving your plow will though..lol.

A bigger alt/batt combo would be a better bet...and turn on your lights at night guy.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Turning off your headlights will save you about 110 watts of juice. Not enough to make a significant difference in your battery charge in my opinion.

If your lights on are enough to kill your battery you either need a new battery, dual batteries or maybe upgrade your alternator.

11. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I usually run a loader when plowing at night so I keep them off. They reflect back real bad off the snow. If you cant see a bright yellow 950 or 966 i dont think the lights will help.

12. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I always use mine. If your truck can't run all your equipment and you have to sacrifice your lights, then you should be getting it looked at.

13. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

lights stay on at all times as long as the plow is on day light plowing or just driving on the road better safe than sorry

save the battery ? you running of the alternator once the truck is running

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

this seems pointless to me.....save on a battery? If you have a new electric over hydraulic plow then your plow is using so much juice your plow lights are probably not even amounting to that much total draw. Also I believe many like myself run two batteries anyway. Just seems like your not gaining anything by turning them off and your loosing some sight maybe and some ability for others to see you.

15. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

depends on the lot and the amount of trafic. but mostly run just the marker lights on the truck i drive if the lots lighted fairly well

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i run with lights on but when i get tired i will some times turn them off. it's easier on the eyes and IMHO easier to see with them off.

i still keep my strobe and parking lights on though. to dangerous to plow with your all lights off.

17. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

daytime: Flashing beacon, and hazard lights.
    nighttime: Flashing beacon, hazards, and plow lights, and tails.

18. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

True...........

19. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Lights on, beacon flashing.

20. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

If your lights are off and someone hits you, first thing they'll say is I didn't see you cause you didn't have your lights on. Protect yourself. Plowlights, amber beacon and rear strobes always on when I'm plowing at night.