1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SKRAM423, Sep 30, 2001.

?

How long did it take to recoupe your investment?

1. First season

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Second season

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Between 3 - 5 seasons

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Over 5 seasons

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. SKRAM423

SKRAM423 Junior Member

I am going to try this poll to see how it works.

I am looking to see how long it took to recoupe your investment.

Thanks
    Mark

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Are you talking about a single truck?

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

juast a truck ? just a plow?

all the trucks and all the plows one may have?

4. SKRAM423

SKRAM423 Junior Member

Yes. I am assuming that most have started out small. I am looking at investing about $5000 for a plow/spreader and enough salt for the season. I have a quote for a 7.5' plow for $3600. Does this seem high?

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Around here $3600 for a 7.5 is high (even with installation). How long it takes to pay for is going to depend on wether or not your doing residential or commercial. Also how large a lot(s) your plowing and if your working buy the hour.

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

As of right now,

4 members said 1 yr
    3 members said 2 yrs
    4 members said 3-5 yrs.

This could mean many different things.

4 of them may have made very small investments.

4 of them may have made large investments or didn't price themselves high enough.

To be useful, you would need to know the following for each person:

Amount of investment.

Number of clients (and whether com or res)

And maybe even the average snowfall per season or avg. number of pushes per season.

Where I am, we get an average of 45" of total snowfall for the year which is about 12 to 15 "pushes"

I know some guys here have an average snowfall of over 100" which means there are more "pushes" per season, and of course that would be figured into a season contract.

I take the $ amt per push x 12 to come up with season price.

Others would use $ amt per push x 30 for season price.

If you recoup within first season, you are doing ok.

If you don't recoup before the 4th or 5th year (no matter how big the investment) you are not doing something right.

That's my 2cents

Dave

7. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

i was also quoted $3600 for a western 7.5 foot pro plow installed if that helps any?

8. SKRAM423

SKRAM423 Junior Member

Thanks for the onput Dave. It's worth alot more than 2 cents.

Mark

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Seems high to me, I can get a western MVP for 3500-3600.00 installed. That plow should be about 2800-3000. Shop around and find a dealer that isnt so overpriced.
    Dino

10. qjet1

qjet1 Junior Member

Dont know if this will help My personal blade is 7.5 Myer Bought in Nov. 95 I dont abuse my equipment but expect it to work hard when asked to This same Ez is now on its 3rd truck I tend to buy clean gmc or chevy 1/2 ton & change them any way the only thing changed was the frame mount This plow doesnt owe me a thing I plow 4-5 3000 sq drives per hour 40+pr truck I love my myers Funny Ive had mismatched setups for years but myer was always doing the pushin I pay &2600-2900 installed