1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: What brand truck do you plow with

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BHLC, Oct 19, 2012.

1. BHLC

BHLC Member

Simple question, what do you use as a plow vehicle?

2. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Gmc/ chevy

I run a fleet of gmc and chevrolet vehicles ranging from a reworked 1971 k2500 all the way up to a 2011 2500hd. The best thing I love about them is that even with a span of 40 years in the fleet parts are still readily available!

3. LDULIN

LDULIN Junior Member

all fords F350 TD F250 V8S 4-F350s 1 f250 and 0ne ford dump truck

4. BHLC

BHLC Member

Common problems?

5. BHLC

BHLC Member

Common problems?

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've run OBS fords and more recently all Dodge trucks. No issues with any of them except routine maintenance associated with plowing. I bought the ford needing a torque converter but $400 later never gave me another issue.

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Ford here. No issues.

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

3 GMCs and a Chevy. One 3/4 ton and a half ton, 2 SUVs

9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

4 80's chevys, all reworked and good to go
    1 05 dodge

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Old dodge in my signature, and I spent the last year fixing everything it needed.... and I mean everything I could do myself.. All I need now is to install new backup lights that I'll be cutting into the rear bumper.

I'm just waiting for snow at this point

11. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

In 30 years of Plowing, I have run Fords, GMC and Chevy. The reality of the newer trucks is that in the effort to meet mileage targets, the integrity of the vehicles has been compromised when they are worked hard for commercial plowing. I had a 2008 GMC 3500HD single rear wheel with an 8 foot plow and cracked the frame. My 2011 replacement GMC, a 2500HD now boasts a box frame, rather than the rail frame that was under the 2008. General Motors stated there were no problems with the rail frame, just updated the trucks. Okay.....
    New to me this year is the Fuso, hopefully it will plow as well as it pulls and hauls a load.

12. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Ford, wouldn't buy anything else.

13. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

Fords here, never really had any issues besides the normal wear and tear that any work truck you plow with usually has

14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

2004.5 chevy duramax pu,05 gmc 4500 4x4 dump ,99 international 4700 dump,bobcat 773

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy 6.0l gassers, ford diesels in the drw dumpys

16. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I own every brand, but if I had to rank them:

1 Dodge
    2 GM
    3 Ford

17. snoboss

snoboss Member

5 gmc, 5 chev 1 dodge cummins Chevrolet bought me to the dance so to speak

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The simple fact is this-the big 3 know how to build trucks. Its all they really did for years since their truck sales supported the companies. It wasn't until the recession when they shifted attention to their cars.

You'll be happy with whatever you choose, they'll all break something, so its all your personal preference or the best deal you can find.

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

2002 Chevy 1500 4x4 4.8L regular cab 8' box 7.5' Fisher SD (My Truck)
    2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 4.6L double cab 6.5' box 7.5' Fisher SD (Dad's Truck)

I like the Toyota better than the Chevy, it has better traction and quite a bit more power.

20. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Ford Super Duty 7.3 Powerstrokes for me...