1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll! Pickup tailgate spreader Vs. Vbox Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowish10, Jan 31, 2013.

Tailgate spreader Vs v box

1. Pickup truck tailgate spreader

28 vote(s)
  2. V box spreader

55 vote(s)
  1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

As the titles says I'm wondering on how many people use pickup truck tailgate spreaders vs v box Spreaders(poly or metal).

Thanks Adam
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I didn't vote, as we run both. V-Box for lots, Tailgate on a GMC canyon on walks.
  3. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Ill have them add both.

Please add a third option of both tailgate and vbox spreaders.
  4. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

started off with tailgate spreaders back in the day. relized how much of a savings there is to bulk salt. built a bin use my skidsteer to load and went to two snowex vpro 8000s. just in last year wen to two truckcraft spreaders 1 dc130 and 1 dc140 just to carry more salt. the days of handeling bags and getting in and out of my truck are long gone. v box all the way, or some type of dumpbed spreader. like the truckcrafts. jmo.
  5. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I didn't vote either. I believe it depends of the size of the lots u do and how much salt you go through. I currently use a 700 lb tailgate spreader & it works great for the small parking lots I do. Having half a pallet of salt in the bed of my truck makes it easy enough to load up the bags of salt in my hopper. If I was servicing larger properties I'm sure there would be an advantage to having a v box salter & using bulk salt products.

6. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

It all depends on your needs, budget and if you can store bulk. I run tailgate spreaders because I don't have a place to store bulk yet. I voted for tailgate.
  7. floriolandscape

floriolandscape Junior Member

V-Box gets my vote. Much faster, easier to load and you don't have to worry about carrying bags with you at all times.
  8. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

tail gate guy but like most have said its all in what serves you best, alot depends on region, where i am its a miricale to get below zero so ole fashion rock salt works fine here, we dont get nearly the number of events or severity that the northern boys get so the expense of a v cant be justified, what ever salt is left over after season we use in softners at shop and my house, rural area most of us still on own well, putting the palletts in back of truck is a snap with forks extra weight is there each event and dont have to worry about storing bulk so for me it makes sense, bags will work you a bit tho i will admit thatwesport
  9. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I couldn't of said it better Fred! I think this winter I used my tailgate salter more times then I used the plow. Lol!
  10. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

V box

xysport V box all the way. Why get out of your truck in the middle of spreading to have to climb in the bed and load bags into a hopper? But I guess its the $$$ . You will :laughing: wants you get a V box, especially an Electric one, the only way to go.
  11. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

V box

Hey you all does anybody use there V boxes to spread fertilizer and lime during the growing season?
  12. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I only use a tailgate spreader only cause thats all I got, If I had a vbox I'd use that & sell my tailgate spreader.
  13. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Salt doggs

Salt doggs are pretty cheap in price compared to others, I have 2 and LOVE them.
  14. Jason1919

Jason1919 Junior Member

what is the going rate for Rock Salt in MA?? (Bulk)... and would you say 1 yard per 1 acre of pavement if applying straight salt? Thanks
  15. DMC

DMC Junior Member

I am thinking of switching to a vbox but if it takes up the whole bed, where do you put shovels, blowers and sidewalk material. Do you run different trucks for walks only?
  16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There's room to slide a shovel in next to the spreader. Unless you do some modifications you won't be able to haul around a blower though.
  17. DMC

DMC Junior Member

i would need to carry about 15 50lb bags for walks and a blower. Anyony put a 6 ft vbox in a 8 foot bed to leave some room in the front for these things?
  18. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

v box spreaders. 1.5yd and 2yd saltdoggs, 4yd downeaster
  19. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Monroe 3.1 yd Hydraulic auger v-box. Started out with a Meyer Mate tailgate spreader and did that for 6 yrs until I got the new F-550 w/Swaploader hook-lift hoist. Now v-box and spray rig are permanently mounted on a flatbed of their own. I back up, hook body and in 30 seconds, the spreader is on the truck. When I had the tailgate spreader, I went through about 1.5 pallets of salt per storm, plowing and salting, more if pre-treat was required. Needless to say, that was a lot of in and out loading the spreader. It sucked, especially when climbing around on top of a pile of snow/sleet covered bags. Now, just push the button and start driving=WAY BETTER. Bulk salt is also about 1/2 the cost of bagged in my area, $80.00/ton as apposed to $265.00 a pallet (2450lbs). I also have a prewet nozzle hooked up to spray my salt with liq. mag. chloride as it exits the hopper onto the spinner. This takes my thawing capability from about +20F down to about 0F and also cuts my salt usage by about 2/3.
  20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

1.5 and 2 yards are almost exactly same length. You'll have about 2 feet of space open in the front. You can fit 15 bags easily.

On a short bed you can put the bags on the side and in the front, but a blower won't fit. You'd have to make a bracket to hang it off the spreader.