1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: manual or auto

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hubjeep, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Just curious, what trans do you have? why?
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

K-2500 GMC 7.5' Western straight blade, stainless tailgate spreader, 350 auto 4wd.
    C-70 Chevy dump truck, 10' Western HD straight blade, under tailgate spreader, 366 c.i.d. gas engine 4 spd manual transmission, 2 spd rear end.
    Wouldn't want an auto in a dump that big (yes I know Allison make one for it but I'm set in my ways) and wouldn't do without one in the four wheel pick up.

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

My first plow truck was a GMC K35 with a 4-speed. I don't know if a manual would be ok for long runs, like roads, or long driveways with one pass one way then one pass the other, but for lots, with all that back and forth shifting, and frequent starts and stops, never again. Too hard on the clutch, and you have to wind the engine up to the redline to get any speed in reverse, which is the gear where you spend half the night anyway....

If it were a dedicated plow truck I'd consider the Allison for a medium duty dump, but as an excavator, I'd agree with keeping with a 4 and 2 or even better, a 5 and 2 in that size dump.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2002
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Except for out Big trucks.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Manual. Just like them better than the autos
    And I can do a clutch in one in a few hours where an auto rebuild would take longer and cost me more.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This question was run just a few weeks ago.

I've got an auto in my driveway truck and a stick in my street truck. The auto's are good for jobs where you have a lot of backing, otherwise a stick is more durable and as ctfireman said, easier to work on.

If only someone would put a shuttle transmission in a pickup....
  7. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Auto , one that works.
  8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I searched and found nothing
  9. hiranger

hiranger Member

All of our trucks are manuals.

I can put in a clutch cheaper than a tranny. My guys can drive manuals well without burning out clutches prematurely.

We are a lawncare/tree service so we do lots of pulling and hauling. Manuals work well for us.

Nowdays manuals are getting hard to find in pickups.
  10. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Allison Auto here, why? because it is the baddest auto made for a light duty truck, it's matted to the 300hp and 520ft lb of tq 6.6 L diesel. Sorry, gets me goin when I tell everyone I have an allison auto in my truck.....

11. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well I've had both & think a heavy duty auto with extra coolers is best for me. I've rebuilt autos & put in clutches over the years so it doesn't really mater that way. If you go auto make sure you chang the fluid & filter before & after the season, & sometimes even in the middle of the plow season. Only one time did I loose a trany in plowing & that was because it had over 125,000 hard miles. :) Brent
  12. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Do you have the long bed or short?? just wondering I have a short and my only complaint is the 26 gal petro tank.
  13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Auto, because reverse is usually a ratio between 1st and 2nd, where standards always seem to have a lower then 1st reverse!
    so they are slower for plowing. A properly cared for auto will kast as long as a standard, but they take more operator training, you can't shift a standard into reverse while going forward. What we need is a special plow gear box with a high ratio reverse, or how about a transfer case that kicks into high range, from low range when you shift into reverse?

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I go with auto,much easier when doing small lots.A stick would be ok if if doing long roads no shifting or reverseing.
  15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Short Bed & I to wish it had a larger tank. But it's not that bad, I've got 3000 miles on it & getting 12 city, 17.5 highway(6.0-4.10). :) Brent
  16. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Try www.transferflow.com, they make a 44 gal take for our trucks. they also make a 98 gal aux tank that goes in the bed. Anyway, that is great mileage considering a gaser, I am about 16 to 19 depending on load, foot placement, and fun factor. Anyway good luck to you.

17. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Auto here! I had a manual for about 12 years. Frankly, Im tired of shifting.

Besides, the automatic is rated higher than the manual in pulling limits on all trucks that I know of that have the option of both.

Bryan, Ohio
  18. TheBeast

TheBeast Junior Member

manual or get out

I got a F-350 CC, manual, and i absolutly love it, stick trucks should be eliminated. No offense to those who drive auto's, but they $uck. Its just my opinion, so don't hate me.:D
  19. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a little :confused: here: "Manual", "Absolutely love it", but then you say "Stick trucks should be eliminated".

" ? "

FWIW, I've driven both, automatic is nicer for plowing for reasons that have been stated in previous posts but make sure you don't shift between D and R before coming to a complete stop.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2002
  20. TheBeast

TheBeast Junior Member

i meant autos should be eliminated