1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

POLL- How many of you plow as your main line of work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by duramax-king, Dec 29, 2009.

?

plowing as main occupation

1. work fulltime/ part time+ plow in the winter

69 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Plow only.

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. plow in the winter and have side buissness in the summer

83 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

how many of you just plow for a living, nothing else the rest of the year.?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I would love to live in a place that got enough snow & ice to make a living @ it.....I drive trucks for a daytime job

3. uwish_uknew_me

uwish_uknew_me Junior Member

trust me you wouldnt feel like that if you lived in Minnesota! :rolleyes:

4. I only plow in the Winter.

I kept trying to sign people to year round snow removal contracts but didn't get any takers :dizzy:

Plowing just keeps me busy in the winter, My summer business is a lot more profitable.

5. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i live in Minnesota and im wishing for more and more every day

6. tinffx

tinffx Member

I am a sales guy. Plowing is only a side gig. I honestly just like playing with trucks and stuff & enjoy spending the extra cash. Its really nice to have a flexible schedule for work that allows me to plow like I do

7. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Plow for winter income-do some small inside jobs when it's not snowing. Remodeling business rest of year but that may be changing soon. prsport

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Work at a Redi-mix concrete plant. Slow in the winter, mostly garage work. If I have to go plow, I just take the day off and come back to work the next day. Works pretty good, especially if it is a dry winter. I know I will have a check from somewhere. And I also get use of the garage if something breaks!!

9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Same thing here.. I love driving in the snow, and i love playing with trucks and bobcats and stuff.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

snow removal mainly, then renovations during the winter

11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

snow removal is a sideline, construction is where I make my money. I used to plow a lot more but its not where the money is at for me. I don't think I will do any for hire plowing next winter!

12. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I cant get enough snow & cold.....I've been laid off now for damn near 1 year because the construction side of trucking is in the shitter

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Full-time firefighter, and I handle the snowplowing on my days off, take a shift off, or use my 3 subs to cover my route. It's worked quite well, and the customers are served nicely.

14. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I load gm cars onto trains in the evening and then I either plow at night time/day and in the summer I do lawn maintenance for for 35-40 clients ranging from postage-stamp lots to industrial 10 acre jobs...sometimes I sleep... but not very often

15. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am also a sales guy. Mainly do outside markets such as flea markets and steam engine shows selling vinyl decals and signs. So during the winter it is very slow with the exception of a few brick and mortar type businesses needing interior display signage. So plowing snow during the winter months has helped me make it easier to pay heat bills and stuff like that. Otherwise it is tough moneywise during the winter months. First year plowing and I actually watch out the window to see if flakes are starting to fall when the weather says it might snow..lol.

Matt

16. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I work as a tech full time. 8 to 5 and in early morning or lunch brake and then after I plow. In summer I'm still a tech and mow maybe about 25 yards. Someday want a building for my equipment and maybe room for a lift or 2 for side work in down time and own maintenance.

17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i do plowing as a main source of income im the winter months. but in the summer i do auto body and refinishing. i want to make plowing and auto body work together in the winter once i get a shop this summer and have auto body as my main income all year but i have to finish school first before i go full time for myself.

18. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I, like many others, do landscaping in the spring, summer, and fall. I also work full time with my mother at our commercial office space leasing company. Keeps me busy, but I would like to stop landscaping someday and just do snow and the building leasing.

19. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I would say we generate 75% of our income doing snow removal, I would love to get to the point of 100% off of snow. I have a game plan to get there it should work unless this strike of the lowballer continues. Hope to drop the firewood after 2010 season is done, its hard work that dont pay for crap as of late.

75% snow/ice
    15% Mowing/landscape work
    10% firewood.

20. kkbuilding

kkbuilding Junior Member

I plow over night for my father and during the day (or whenever I'm on the clock) I'm a union carpenter.