1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: How acceptable is using a leaf blower for light snow in the middle of the day.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shovelracer, Feb 15, 2009.

How acceptable is it to use a leaf blower for light snow removal during midday hours?

1. 100% acceptable in the right conditions.

127 vote(s)
  2. Acceptable, but not proffesional.

7 vote(s)
  3. Feel it is neither good nor bad.

8 vote(s)
  4. Absolutely never, you should work as hard as possible.

6 vote(s)
  1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Looking for opinions on daytime leaf blower use for light snow in a residential setting. I unfortunately am having problems with an ex client all stemming from leaf blower use. Wish I could say more, but all I can do is compile information stating the acceptability or not of such tools during midday hours. Any links to articles stating such is appreciated as well.
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

contractors even use backpack blowers to clear snow off of sidewalks and such if conditions permit, like snow consitency and winds.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If what I am reading is right you have an ex client that does not like the noise from the blower. I would go to the city/county/township what ever is the governing body and request to see if there is a statue regarding noise ordinances.
  4. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Although I've never used either my Stihl or Little Wonder in the snow I don't see a problem with it. If you didn't already, try to search for the info. I know I've read about using them in the snow either here or on LS a few years ago. What exactly is the ex clients issue with it?
  5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

while I've never used a leaf blower for snow, I can't see there being any real problem with it. Since you can use it during the day during spring, summer, and fall, I can't see why there should be a problem in the winter.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

we dont use them, and i personally dont think we should under any conditions...

Anyhow, i see other companies, big and small using them in NJ, around city areas too and at all times of the day/night without a care.

We were at one site, and another CO was on the other side of the street, doing another commercial site. same size/length sidewalk to do. The guy on the other company's side with a leaf blower, already started the long straight away of the sidewalk. I was just coming around the corner with a "push broom" that was a 36" wide floor model. I was finished our 140' worth before he was... Maybe his was a little cleaner, but after the calcium on the walks, it would all be the same an hour later, this was 11:30pm.
  7. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

We use blowers all the time here in St Louis during the day, if the snow is light (less than an inch) and a "dry" snow. It is cheaper for the client because usually there is nothing left on the walks leaving no reason to apply de-icers. This is usually only on commercial building walks, because usually in a case like this, our condo complexes and apartment complexes don't want us to do anything anyways.
  8. shovelracer

I cant really talk about this issue a lot since this issue is still taking place and probably will for a few more months. I can say that it has nothing to do noise and this person is going extremely far out of their way to attempt to ruin my business name. All I can do at this point is compile information regarding the practice of snow removal with a leaf blower in my favor. Sometimes having all your business credentials can hurt you.
  9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we do it when ever we can during the day. works great on steps
  10. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

If it was a noise issue with anyone, I could see how it would bother a client if he worked nights and slept during the day.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I live by the philosophy: "Whatever works"
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have my guy use my backpack anytime there is dry snow on the walks. Anything up to 2 inches My Redmax 8001 blows to oblivion.

100% acceptable IMO...

I would think they would be a litlle loud in a residential area @ 3am though...but hey, no resis here.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I dont see a problem with it at all. I sometimes wish that I had a massive blower mounted in front of my truck instead of a plow. It would get rid of the light stuff much faster!

As far as using it for walks, it leaves a nice clean surface in little time. I used to use the blower when I lived at home to clear the walks and driveway after light snow storms.
  14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

We use them all the time if conditions permit. Day, night doesnt matter.
  15. shovelracer

Nope, not the issue.
  16. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I use it all the time!
  17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Some people may not do it, and I think what your running into is the fact that it may not be the most common practice, but its very efficient under the right conditions. On a light snow dry, you can clear it at walking pace. We do it when possible because sometimes its just a very light dusting, I have even brought out my 13hp little wonder to blow off a lot before salting. (it was more just to see how it would work but it does wonders)

Explain to him that sometimes business need to approach things a bit differently in order to operate and be the most productive they can. Which in turns saves him money. Is this commercial or residential customer?
  18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My contracts say I will remove the snow. It doesn't say how I will do it or what equipment I will use.

What is the difference between a leaf blower and a snow blower? They both make noise. They both blow the snow. The snow blower is a VERY acceptable way to remove snow. Why shouldn't a leaf blower be.

When you CAN talk about it, let us know what the real circumstances are.
  19. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

exactly, if we were to know the circumstances regarding the situation, and what he is taking issue with, we could provide more accurate advice regarding the use of a leaf blower. that would let us see both sides of the argument.
  20. shovelracer

We're getting closer. Unfortunately I cant even speak with the ex client at this point this issue is almost out of my hands. My case is very strong and loaded with documented facts over and over, but it will be up to the third party to make a determination.