1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll Gross receipts/Number of pieces of equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theplowmeister, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Gross profit / number of pieces of equipment used

Poll closed Dec 16, 2008.
  1. 0 - 15K

18 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. 15K - 30K

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. 30K - 45K

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 45K - 60K

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. 60K - 75K

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 75K - 90K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. over 90K

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A Poll

Simple; is bigger more efficient
    (Gross receipts)/(Number of pieces of equipment used to make that gross income).

2. theplowmeister

from MA

Time to bump it up

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I just looked at the poll and I'd really like someone to tell me what area and what they were plowing with to gross 90k/unit. I know guys with sander plow combos doing roads that gross 90k but not guys doing general plowing.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

$45K - $60K is more like it payup

5. theplowmeister

from MA

Me too! I hope they did not devide by # equipment or I'm in the wrong job:rolleyes:

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

In the "Hospital" thread someone mentioned an $800,000 account. Maybe they could get it done with 8 pieces of equipment.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you can make that with a pickup on a 3 year average I commend you but I highly doubt it.

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

a little over 15k running one truck and tailgate salter. i could probably handle a couple more drives and a small commercial. that would put me closer to 20k if not over...ehh maybe next year.

im sure some guys do more and some less but this just helps pay some bills for me. its definately not the main income.

9. creativedesigns

ummm, Let me verify! $45K - $60K is a broad range for some, but Im talking Commercial accounts, not resi. ( example, 3 condos we have @ $22K = $66K. done with tractor loader, or pick up) And thats with one pice of equipment. They're close to each other & takes roughly 3 1/2 hours to complete. In the meantime, other pieces of equipment are eleswhere.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Ottawa has waaaaaaaaaay too much money to spend. Maybe I should tell the daughter to get a job as an operator ( she spends the summers on John Deere's)

11. creativedesigns

Actually that was my next quote! When I was talking to Paul V ( neige ) when he came down to Ottawa, he couln't believe the prices commercial lots were worth for snow! :nod: Ottawa has high value for everything! tymusic

12. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

unbelievable. $66,000 with 1 tractor in 3.5 hrs? I'm moving. lets just do simple math. 1 truck plows 10 hours an event we get about 12 events in MN. going rate per hr is $55-$125 hr highside $125x10hrx12events=$15000 per year. how many events up there? say 30. 30 x 3.5 hrs=105. $66000/105 hrs=$628.57per hr?

m&m look at that hosp. thread again the guy has 8 pieces just for the sidewalks.

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I will need another year for that 3 year average.
    I voted 45k

I just added a backup truck but Im not counting that.

last year was bobcat and truck with tornado. shovels and a blower

That includes salt salt/sand and sidewalks. Myself, Dad and my brother. 1 occasional helper last year when we got really bad back to back storms to help on sidewalks.

We had a tranny go in the truck after 325 000 kms other then that no major probs.
    I dont have a total infront of me but I want to say 37 times we were out plowing or salting
    The final 3 that didnt fully pay just paid up and resigned.
    We were mainly perpush last year after about 50% changed from seasonal which I couldn't believe.
    And yes I know, a horseshoe up my. it was a record year and the prevois year was very close

14. creativedesigns

They are seasonal contracts with a cap limit of 254cm. Number of plowable events can range from 15 - 22 ( based on the previous 2 years ) Lets say we end up surpassing our 254cm cap limit, then $ 66,000 divided by 254 = $259.84 per cm it snows!!! So lets say if it snows 20cm extra, were elegible to invoice $ 5,196.80 amongst the three condos for that storm! payup BTW I just bought another new tractor lol pics will be up soon :drinkup:

15. snowman55

Creative, I see the per cm but thats not the point I'm asking about your average hourly rate. At 22 events x 3.5 hr per event you only plow 77 hours a season for $66000? thats $857.14 per hour!!! if this is true I'm moving to canada because I've never seen anything close to that.

Midtown, is that for a skid and truck? or 45000 each if for both and shoveling it sounds right to me at about $20000 each unit.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You really have to count your back up truck, I have 14 tractors 2 skids, 2 salt trucks and 2 pickups for snow. Do I use all of them every storm no, but to me they are still counted as an expense for snow. My time frames are also very small we count on 1" being 2 hours to plow and 1 hour for every inch after that, if I took 8 hours on a 2 " storm I wouldn't be plowing anymore. BTW who cares about gross lets talk clear profit. I will not give numbers on the web anyway, I have too much to lose and not much to gain.:drinkup:

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You have no sidewalks to do at these condos, what about salt? And if you made 66k /vehicle why did you not go in the next higher catagory? They asked /peice so take all your snow peices and and then divide by your gross for the season.

18. snowman55

JD you sound like you know a thing or two about business pm me I would like to discuss further margins. your in canada. are you seeing more than $800 per hour for a truck? I have been at this many years and if that was true for me I could retire in about 5 years.

19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

about $50k per year with 5 plow trucks, 2 skids, 1 salt truck, and 1 telehandler for stacking and loading salt......and 1 truck for walks(owned by my sub).... looks like about $5-6k per unit, but 1-2 trucks hardly ever get used untill one breaks...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  20. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

:drinkup:Cre stop telling lies LOL there is no money to make here in Ottawa .