1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Front-end on Chevys.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fordistough, Dec 3, 2006.

?

What front-end would you give the new Chevys?

1. Solid Axle, with Leaf Springs

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Solid Axle, with Coil Springs

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Independant axles, with Coil Springs

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Independant axles, with Double-Wishbones (Current)

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Hi everybody, if you were to design the front end on the new Chevys, what would you give it?

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would stay with independent for a couple of reasons - better traction and better ride. When the first IFS full size GM trucks came out in 1987 (as 1988 models) all the techs at the dealership where I worked were concerned about the plowing performance vs the previous straight axle trucks. Once they got in them with plows on and started pushing they realized that while the IFS didn't carry the blade as well on the road they felt they were superior at pushing over the straight axle trucks.

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd have to go with a SFA and leafs. IMO, the IFS is the only downfall of the current GM truck lineup.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yep, i wish they did offer a solid axle for the 2500's. i would buy one now. i also wish they would come out with an s-10 with a small 6 cylinder diesel but i know im really dreaming on that one.

5. Fordistough

from USA

It is interesteing, gentlemen, isn't it? such a contraversy over Chevrolet's front end.

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

They just need to design it with more travel and capacity. I would start out using longer controll arms and go with coil overs or air over shocks, with air the pressure can be increased to carry more weight, and may as well make it auto ride. Use larger ball joints and tie rods.
    All 2500-3500 trucks should have a 6000lb front axle rating for plowing

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

YES!:bluebounc

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I like the ride. I say leave it alone and just add a bigger torsion bar option for the guys that want a big blade up front. 4800# is not big enough for a ext or CC to carry a 8' blade without sagging without Timbrins.

9. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

They make s-10 diesels in europe.

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Lets think about this one.lol

I've owned straight and independents and for work give me a straight front axle,for ride give me the independent.
    The front end design in my 95 S10 Blazer 4x4 is junk...I hope the newer ones are better.Then again the front end in my 90's 4x4 F150 was junk...I don't mean my actual front end just the design was flawed..Ball joints,idler arm,pitman arms always seem to need something...I know some of the early 90's GM1ton 4x4 etc had ball joint issues..Seemed every 30k or so they needed to be replaced....Just what I have seen.
    Get on any model specific site and you'll read over and over of all the problems these independent front ends have.To be fair I hear Dodge front ends arnt any better....
    I know the old timers say give them a straight front axle and durability ,a work truck is a work truck.
    Yes the independents do ride better...I am not brand loyal ,if it is a good value I will drive it....Just after 25 years of being a gear head and in the contracting business I have seen the good and bad with allot of designs.Just my .02...

11. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

They need to put a solid front axle back in the front with LEAF springs, then GM will have the PERFECT truck like they used to.

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well I don't get all touchy over it. It is just a truck, I'm not married to it. I will admit that the only real flaw in the GM truck design, IMO, is the front suspension. I'd like to at least see an option for a SFA if the buyer wants it. If you don't work the front of your truck with a plow, then stick with the IFS. Pretty simple if you ask me.

13. snowblind

snowblind Junior Member

this is my first year plowing with my 94gmc 1500 .how good have your front ends on these been? i'm a little nervous about mine i plow some tough roads my 86 3500 gmc i never worried that straight axle could go to hell and back, i've never had to replace any thing on it due to plowing, but my 94 just seems like it will not take much to break it

14. dsc

dsc Junior Member

SFA vs IFS

how about IFS for the 2500 series and a SFA w/ coil on 3500 SRW and DRW trucks? Or just a new heavy suspension package as an option for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks?

15. Fordistough

from USA

How about if you want a pickup truck, you deal with the stupid ride and get the most out of your TRUCK that you can. Buy a tahoe or something for the wife.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My truck handles It fine and rides great. I like my Kindney right were they are, thank you.:dizzy:

No solid axial for me and forward and back boucing the the leaf trucks used to do.

Wow how soon we forget the old 80's bounce.:redbounce

17. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I liked the turning radius of mine verses the leaf spring trucks. I would look at going back to one if they either made the torsion bars bigger or went with a solid front and coils. Didn't keep mine long enough to see if there were reliablilty problems with the front end. Thats because there were too many reliability problems with the rest of it. LOL. Check out my post I HAVE COME TO THIS CONCLUSION in the Dodge section for some interesting late model truck issues I have had.