1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poll- Do you use your A/C compressor to defog ur windshield? Other solutions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DouglasCo, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DouglasCo

DouglasCo Junior Member

Okay this is kinda lame and I hope its okay that I post it here. Several times I have been tempted to hack my air conditioning system off my beater because its in the way for other modifications and i'm always thinking in the back of my mind that i'm going to shake the connections apart and get a freon leak when i'm really pounding my truck. I say to myself why the hell is this on my rig, am i a pansy. Then I remember that sometimes it just really helps with clearing up the windshield. Not really sure why, guess its the dry air blows off the condensate on the inside or something. I'm new to this climate and it is alot dryer then where i come from, but it seems like i still need it here.. But am i doing something wrong to make my window fog up like that. Leaving the windows cracked, turning the heat on to high, breathing:dizzy: Is there any spray on that helps it not fog up. Do you push the A/C button to defog the window or is it all in my head? I know some trucks don't even have the compressor on off button anymore, its just automatically on when you switch it to defrost. What do you guys do that don't have working a/c's? Do you have a problem with it? I kinda want to do an office space on my a/c compressor and attached parts.
  2. DouglasCo

DouglasCo Junior Member

Don't tell me......Eureka Fluid Film. (sorry...couldn't help it)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

does the compressor engage when you turn the a/c on. if the system is empty turning the a/c on wont help

4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I never took physics, but I do know that a cubic foot of warm air at 100% humidity holds more water than a cubic foot of cold air at 100% humidity. So by cooling air, you're removing water from it, and if you blow that dry air onto a windshield, it should dry it up.

Also, blowing hot air will dry it up as well, because if you take air that has humidity at 100% and heat it up, the humidity of that air will decrease initially, even though it is capable of holding more water than cooler air. It hasn't had a chance yet to absorb the water in the surrounding air. So blowing heated air onto a windshield will dry it up too.

Blowing untreated humid air onto the windshield probably won't help, and might even make it worse.

My point is, you could get by without the A/C. The a/c in my old truck went years ago, and I was fine.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The a/c acts like a dehumidifier. The air that comes out of the a/c is dryer.
    Do you have to have a/c? no. but it is nice to have now and then.

Clean out the blower make sure you have a strong air stream going to the defrosters.
    keep snow and ice from building up on the out side.
    keep the glass clean, clean the glass inside and out before you go plowing,(every time)
    especially if you smoke. Use rain-x on the out side of the wind shield.

If you get out of your truck and shovel or whatever you do. brush the snow off of your self before you get back in. The less moisture in the cab the better.

KINNCO Senior Member

I believe all newer cars and trucks when you run "defrost to the windshield" the air comes from the A/C. It's much dryer.
  7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the a/c compresser turns on when the defroster is on
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes the compressors come on with the defroster. I believe the idea was that it kept the compressors from sizing up from being stopped all fall, winter and spring. Not using them was very bad.
  9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

Hmm. Maybe that's why mine died.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yup, that's exactly why they come on with defrosters. Simply to increase the longevity of the system since few people use them in the winter. Some newer vehicles have shifted the vent system to a true hvac, useing the AC's with the heater core to modulate temp, but it really doesn;t matter much.
  11. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

someone mentioned you can use Sea Drops on the windows to keep them from fogging. It's a product used on diving masks. Why do you want to take the AC off your truck? Even if it didn't work I don't know if I would go to that trouble. Oh yeah!? What are you doing to for up the windows so bad, leave the GF home. I have my window open half the time anyhow, no fogging.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hey!, That was a trade secrete;)

You know spit works too.:nod:

If you try Sea-Drops Make sure you buff them(the rear window) very well, other wise it will leave a film.

I have not tried them on the front windshield yet.

Works great for bathroom mirrors too:waving:
  13. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

maybe you have better spit:) . I'll stick with the defroster,& open window.
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Define "beater truck" please. Are we talking about a 96 Chevy or a 73? Big difference. I think it was the early to mid 90"s when they switched AC systems from the R12 to R134. Generally speaking it was about the same time or very soon therafter that they also wired the compressor switch into the vent defrost setting so that it would run the compressor every time you selected any windshield mode. The year of your truck may indicate if you have a newer refrigerant or older...if you're using R12 and its not cooling the air you might aw well rip it out since you'll have a helluva time finding someone with any R12 to refill it with (its illegal) and filling it with R134 will only hasten the demise of the compressor.

I'd say if its in the way and its not working well anyhow, rip it out and get some Sea Drops or Rain-X...apply it to the inside of the windshield and buff the hell out of it so it doesn't leave a streaky haze (make sure the glass surface is super clean) and it won't fog up. You can still run heat to the windshield and in the winter if you really want dry air, run it full cold and you'll pull in the extremely dry, cold outside air...course that might also freeze the fog, but thats a risk I'm willing to take.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use RainX on the outside of your windows FogX on the inside. I carry a window squeegee with me when I plow.I clean them whenever I shovel snow or get fuel.
    By keeping the windows clear/clean with the RainX applied it keeps the fogging down.
    By keeping the windows clean it keeps the drops of melted snow on the windows down. Hence you don't get the large amount of fogging. The big effect of A/C is removing moisture from the in coming air. that's why the a/c compressor runs while on defrost setting.Not because it needs to circulate the oil and make sure the compressor does not freeze up. At least Ford does it since A/C was an option.