1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polaris Sportsman 6x6 ATV

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by RVJATV, Nov 21, 2010.

1. RVJATV

RVJATV Junior Member

I have a 1/10 mile paved driveway, Steep hill. Wisconsin snow. I am considering the purchase of a Polaris 500 Sportsman 6X6 to handle this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Creagers Lawns

Creagers Lawns Junior Member
    from 84020

I'd go with tracks whatever you decide

3. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

i wouldn't buy anything Polaris unless you wanna pullurass home

4. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

I was thinking the same thing but I didnt want to be the first to say it Polaris dont have very good rep for being reliable

5. RVJATV

RVJATV Junior Member

Thanks...appreciate the comments.

Not knowing much about Polaris I really appreciate the advice

6. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

your welcome just dont want you making the same misstakes some of us have a buddy of mine works as a mechanic at polaris dealer he told me dont do it you will regret it

7. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

first of all, as an atv it is an absolute tank, a junk tank but still a tank, look at them and see the hardware they use, the good thing is you can go to home depot to fix, the bad thing is ya have to go to home depot to fiix hahaha

before i shoveled and it was the right price i'd take my chance hahahaha

as a plow it will do what ya want without tracks, steering however is another story, first itwillbe a bus to do a 3pt turn hahaha i think thats why thye made it a 6 wheeler , you just plow thru it all

there are better quads out there that is for sure,

8. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

yamaha has a few quads with power steering the grizzly 700 and a kodiac 400 and 550 check them out

9. long0

long0 Senior Member

I've got one that will push anything I can throw at it - within reason!
    [​IMG]

10. RVJATV

RVJATV Junior Member

I have used it for one storm. We are on a hill, 1/10 paved driveway...steep. Even though it was iced up and I turned my jeep around backwards on it...the Boss never flinched. Looks to be a great machine. Thanks.

11. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

rvj are you holding out on us we demand pics dam it its all about the pics

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have heard the same thing about the newer polaris machines. We have owned a few older ones (2004 and older) and always liked them. I am trying to find info but my brother use to own a polaris bigboss (2stroke 6x6) and it was a MONSTER. It was very reliable in stock form. He then did a ton of work to it (big bore, exhaust, bigger carb, piston ext....) After that it was still reliable but ran very hot.
    Given my personal experience I would still shy away from the polaris. The kawi brute force is one HELL of a machine.
    Robert