1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polaris Brutus

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by hemiman, Dec 25, 2013.

1. hemiman

hemiman Junior Member

Anyone buy one of the new Polaris Brutus HD PTO and using it for snow???
  2. Buck331

Buck331 Member

A few businesses in my area purchased them for grounds maintenance units, plowing, and sweeping etc. I have looked at them but North of a $30K+ price tag is unjustified BIG HAY in my opinion. In addition I do not want to deal with the Polaris YANMAR diesel engine, and small ATV battery in -20 to -30 below zero situations.
    Yup, base models start out at $15K, now add the cab, doors, windshield wipers, PTO, block heater, cab heater, plow lights, reverse lights, amber roof light and a couple attachments and $30K there you are.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My dealer is still sitting on one setup like you said and he still has it and even tried selling it on e bay with no luck
  4. ND-Blackhawk

ND-Blackhawk Junior Member
    from 58642

I just bought a Bobcat 3650 UTV, it's similar to the Polaris Brutus PTO version. I paid $25,000 with the angle blade, a block heater and the shuttle pedal platform. It's still a little too soon to provide an objective review but what I will say is compared to my John Deere 850D and 855D Gators at least the Bobcat has a really good heater & defroster, AC for summer, it's amazingly quiet and comfortable in the cab, the front blade is quick and responsive with handy controls, the power steering is a real treat, it has a 90 amp alternator. I will try to provide a more detailed review later. I still own one of my John Deere diesels, the 855D XUV.
  5. Dave2425

Dave2425 Junior Member

How do you like the 3650? How did it perform during this brutal ND winter?
  6. Beatfleet

Beatfleet Junior Member
    from MN

I have 700 hours on my BRUTUS HDPTO and have been very impressed with it. I had a few minor teething problems early, but everything was quickly rectified. Just about everything I had issues with was a Bobcat part, ie front attachments. I'll buy more when my small trucks die as these are much cheaper to operate. I'll stick with Polaris since they make the bobcat version anyway.

Not sure about Yanmar comment above, I've been around their diesels for years and have found them to be as good as anything money can buy. Cumulatively I probably have 10s of thousands of hours on yanmars from get sets to UTV's.
  7. wislxer

wislxer Member

Beatfleet I'd love to hear any more review you have on you machine? What capacity are you using it? What implements do you have? What were the early issues? Got any pics? Any likes/dislikes with the machine so far? Thanks in advance!
  8. Beatfleet

Beatfleet Junior Member
    from MN

No pics, I'm too old to figure his stuff out. Maybe the boss lady will help.

I've used the machine primarily for snow removal so far in my landscaping business, but will be using for lighter duty site work around homes this summer, ie building decks, ponds, moving decorative rocks etc from the dump location in the driveway around to the work area. This winter I used it primarily with the plow or "blade"as they call it, and ran it hard. Also have the snow blower and used it about 200 hours. A couple times we ran it 48 hours straight stopping only to refuel and swap operators. I never intended to use it this hard, but am glad we know it can handle it.

The good: it's a robust, well built machine that is durable and solid yet maintains the great Polaris suspension and ride. It's heavy at 2000 lbs+ (2500+ With implements on the front) but I need that when pushing snow and the engineers did their homework with the stiffer springs. I also love the composite bed for salt spreader work as the bed won't rust out in 6 weeks like my Kubota's did. The forward/reverse pedal is what makes this package so useful for snow work, and where I can see it being useful in the summer. Not having to wrestle with levers and shifters 1000 times a day is incredibly nice.

The stuff that I'd like to change is stuff that Polaris and the aftermarket offer accessories for. The big thing for me is that I'd like to swap the windows for something that opens- easy fix. I'd also like the bed lift to hydraulic, but admittedly that's so I can piggy back off the lines for hitch mounted drags. The electric lift works fine and I have never maxed it out at well over the payload capacity... The speed is not like the other 800 and up machines on the market, but is in line with the other hydrostatic diesel made by Kubota. The big difference is the suspension on the Polaris and the overall ride is noticeably better than the 2014 RTV 1100. It's just a ton more comfortable when spending all day running it.

Early issues affected RPMs and top speed- it was a machining issue with a easily replaced part. Dealer swapped it while I waited at the dealership. The second issue was shear pins on the blower- they are spec'd for grade 8 pins, but some grade 3 and 5 bolts were used instead. Since I swapped out the beefier pins, I haven't broken a pin ~150 hours ago.

Hope this helps.
  9. wislxer

wislxer Member

That's a great and largely positive review. Good stuff man, thanks!
  10. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

My review

I got a chance to take one out this AM for a run through of our sidewalk routes.

The machine takes a while to get up to speed, but I hit 22 mph at wide open. I was only pushing 2-4" of snow and ended up having to put it into 4x4. There was no weight in the box and i had lowered the skids on the snowblower so there was lots of resistance from the cutting edge dragging. I was impressed that it cut right down to bare pavement. I found a 1ft high plow windrow about 20 ft long to test the snowblower and it bogged down quite a bit. I would think the unit would be satisfactory on normal fresh snow.

Inside the cab is very roomy. There are cup holders beside each door and one in the center. There was also extra storage spots for cell phone, radio, and other items you need to take with on a long shift. This model is a Canadian version and was not equipped with turning signals or mirrors. I'd say its a "must have" for these items. It would be easy enough to order them online as the Polaris Ranger is quite similar. The Dealer told me they are the same parts and would be happy to do the install.

The photo of the snow blower is the CAT model for the skidsteer. This snowblower has slightly heavier guage of steel on the sides, but the moldboard is the same guage on the Brutus version. The depth of the blower is about the same, but the chute on the CAT is higher/wider and the opening into the second stage is wider.

We are considering the purchase, but its tough to swallow at $26k + taxes for the PTO model. The snowblower is just under $5k, rotary broom is $4500, and the mower is $3500.

I would like to think this could replace a truck on our route and eliminate a skidsteer from having to do sidewalks and thus reduce driving time. When you consider labour savings and eliminating a truck, the numbers make sense. I was also considering a Bobcat Toolcat, but the numbers don't work for me. I think its clear that a Toolcat offers more versatility much higher capacities with a longer service life. I was shocked at $76k price tag (after tax) and that takes it off the plate for our consideration.

11. Nick B

Nick B Junior Member
    from Madison

I had the bobcat 3650 version last year and traded it back in on another tool cat. The bearings went out a few times with the broom attachment on it, and the snowblower gear box went out once. We do have a lot of account it was getting run about 16hrs per event. Good concept but didn't hold up over the long haul.
  12. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman Junior Member

Any one have experience with the mower?