1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polaris ATV Plow

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Sportsman500??, Jan 13, 2009.

ATV Plow Brand and Type?

1. Warn Cyclone

0 vote(s)
  2. Warn Straight

2 vote(s)
  3. Glacier Straight

15 vote(s)
  4. Glacier Two-Way

4 vote(s)
  5. Polaris V-Plow*

9 vote(s)
  6. Moose County

5 vote(s)
  7. Moose Straight

12 vote(s)
  8. Cycle Country County

2 vote(s)
  9. Cycle Country Straight

1 vote(s)
  10. Cycle Country V-Plow

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

I have just bought a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 with Moose plow mount. I can take the plow mount off and put another brand on, but what plow should I go with a Cycle Country, Moose, Glacier, or Warn? Also what size (48, 50, 54, 60")? And what type (county, v-plow, straight)? How does the Polaris 54" V-plow work? Thanks guys.
  2. Italian Bee

Italian Bee Junior Member
    from Calgary

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

Stick with the Moose plow mount and get a 60in Moose straight blade.;)Moose is by far the best and most durable plow out there.:D

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i voted thinkin you wanted to know what we use lol, delete my vote cause wood is a better substitute than that ****** cyclecountry lol
  5. JayMac

JayMac Member

I have the glacier straight 60" I think that it is a nice system and would recomend it. I wish mine was taller. don't worry about not having the power to push. Just add weight to the rear rack it will be a nice pushing machine.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. jimmy2b

jimmy2b Junior Member

I have a sportman 700 with a 52" glacier staight plow. I wore the wear bar down in the first week I replaced it with a 3/8 x6" flat bar and it adds extra weight and clears ice like nothing.

FIREDUDE26 Member

I have always had moose on my arctic cats, but i put the glacier on my new 800 polaris and what a big difference, great hook up, seems to push as good as the moose. also very HD.wesport
  8. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I voted for Moose but if you'll give us a description of the area you'll be plowing snow it'll help make a better choice.

your doing your own drive way of 2 cars and your sidewalk, or you have a 1/4 mile long gravel drive that has heavy drifts?

alot of plow choice is for what type of are being plowed and how much snow is the average
    amount you'll plow. 10 events at 3" and maybe 2 events at 10"

Just your own stuff or are you gonne help out neighbors and such as well?

some background info will really help us here, help you.

sublime out.
  9. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Sure, I will be plowing my driveway which has three cars in it and about 90 feet long. We live in a private community so I would push the snow across the road. Up here in Northeastern PA, we get anywhere from 2 inches all the way up to a few feet (3). I will also be plowing a few close neighbors drives which are quite small and one has a hill to push the snow down. I might also have to plow my way about half a mile to their drives if the plows don't come. I also really want to stack the snow. Right now it looks like Moose, Glacier, and Polaris V-Plow are up top. Thanks
  10. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I still saying the Moose Country version. either the 50" or 60"

Best built Plow and since you already have the Moose Mount on the quad.
    save your self the trouble and stick with a known Plow that works great.

I run a standard 60" Moose on my 450 Honda and most winter's its great these last 2 have been on record setting pace I wish now I had the 50" Country for being able to roll the snow up higher.

its on my wish list if I can find a good used one in my area for a good price I gonna pick it up and start the year on the big blade and then when my sidewalk windrows start to narrow up gonna switch to the narrow blade that can roll the snow over the top of the alread made piles.

sorry for the ramble

sublime out
  11. ManAtArms

ManAtArms Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I've been very happy with my Polaris Glacier2 60" plow. If I'm not mistaken, the Glacier2 is made for Polaris by Moose and the Moose RM3 plows are identical and interchangeable with the Glacier2.

12. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Thanks. So Mark, I could put a glacier v plow and push tube on my Moose mount? Also, I am wondering how tall the glacier v-plow, moose straight, and the glacier two way plows are? I know the Moose County is 16" left and 26' right. Is the moose rapid mount that much better than the regular mount? Thanks
  13. ManAtArms

ManAtArms Junior Member

Is your Moose system the RM3 Rapid mount? If it is, any blade from the Polaris Glacier 2 system should mount to the Moose RM3 push tube frame. This ONLY applies to the Moose RM3 system. I don't have experience with other Moose plow systems and can't say if the polaris V-blade would fit.

I would recommend a 60" blade, so when it is angled you can still clear a path wider than the quad. I have a 60" straight blade and plow a 1/2 mile driveway at about 10-15 mph depending upon the amount of snow. I'm thinking of switching to a Moose County plow, which would be better in my situation as I can build up some speed when plowing. In your case with a 90' drive, I would think a straight blade would do fine.

14. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

HOME MADE!!! make it they way you want it. thats what i did. add that to your poll!
  15. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Well, I would, but I am clueless on how to do anything with metal. Hows your polaris working out?
  16. chuckraduenz

home made plow.

mine is holding up pretty good. i thought i broke it a few weeks back when i hit a small hiddin object. it put a pretty good gouge in the wear bar, and almost sent me over the handel bars. but i didnt brake nothing. this is the 3rd plow iv built. the first 2 were pretty much learner ones. this last one i built seems to be doing pretty good.
    this is the one i built. i had to change the black springs on it to lighter ones. since they didnt trip when i hit the object in the snow.
    my old wheeler
  17. Sidewalk King

Sidewalk King Member

Dont build one! It costs to much and takes too long to build a quality plow from scratch, unless your unemployed or only make minimum wage in that your time isnt worth much. I would assume that since you live in a private community your doing something right and can afford to buy a real plow. It's cool other members of this site as well as myself have taken on the task of building our own plow but I havent seen any homemade plow pics or even built one myself that can compare to a Moose plow and its price.

I'm not talking about the RM3 model, its mount is a huge piece of crap and doesnt hold up like the Moose that comes with their tried and true standard long push tube model. Just so you know Moose dosent make ANYTHING, they are a subsiderary of Parts Unlimited (a part distributer for dealers) and just put Moose logos on parts a bunch of different companys build (some good some bad). The RM3 mount and plow frame are built by the same company in China that builds the Glacier II plows for Polaris. The mount for the ATV and the short push frames are the same between the Glacier II and Moose RM3 but the swivel base that turns to angle the blade and the actual plow blade are completly different from each other.

The standard Moose that every one has come to trust is built in Minnesota and was doing so long before Moose (Parts Unlimited) asked if they could put their logo on it. You'll know how to identify if you have the good Moose mount because it will be bolted under your machine rather than in the front.
  18. chuckraduenz

personly. the total cost of the plow i built was $20. that was for the wear bar and springs. other than that it was all scrap metal. and also for your information i was not unemployed at the time of building this plow! i also didnt want to buy a plow for many reasons. 1) pay about $800 for a atv plow that isent built that tough. 2) personaly a atv plow total cost should only be $400 or so 3) there wasent a plow out there that i liked. but if you have more money than time. then id buy one. but i had the money to buy one. i just didnt want to spend that kinda money on a atv plow. but thats my 1cent worth
  19. Sidewalk King

Sidewalk King Member

If you noticed I said I too built my own plow and mentioned that like yours it wasn't't the best, so I wasn't't implying anything towards you that couldn't't also be said about me. I'm obviously willing to be critical of my own designs and realized after fixing it a couple times that I should have just bought one. YOUR THE ONE WHO SAID HE WAS ON HIS THIRD HOMEMADE PLOW! I don't know what they consider scrap metal were you're from but here we get charged per ft for all that box tubing you used.

The thing that worries me most about your set up is the thing you made that appears to be the plow mount for the quad. The skinny item with the three round spacers and three parallel bolts in it will wreck your frame if that what your bolting it to. When bolted on, this will probably start to pivot back and forth like a hinge on your frame, that's why all the plow manufacturers have a big square plates with holes on the corners to spread the force around a larger area. There are more flaws in your design but as long as it pushes snow, it will always be cooler that you built it rather than sitting on the couch just talking about building it like most guys do.

Anyways, your right about what a plow should cost ($400.00) BECAUSE THEY DO!
    www.mibarproducts.com they have one for $369.00
  20. chuckraduenz

my fault i didnt see that part. i thought you were directing it twards ME. and how much to ship it? and by scrap metal. i mean. recycle bin, from spraying mfg outfit right next door. also this same set up was used on the other 2 plows i built. one of them that i built was fast and cheap for 2 reasons 1)i wanted something to do at the time 2)didnt want to shovel. and yes that one was really cheap! the second one had the push tube, frame mount, and angle adjustment from the one you see. the only thing i changed was the plow part it self. since i hit a hiddin cement slab. and it didnt break or bend the frame mount. i also plowed last winter with this and this winter with it so far. and all is good. it worked on the last wheeler, and its working on this one.