1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polaris 700, how much snow can it take?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by stealthsniper96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. stealthsniper96

stealthsniper96 Junior Member

I found a decent deal on a 4x4 polaris 700 with a plow. I would like to start plowing this year and plan on doing just driveways (hope to get 20 or more). What kind of snow can this thing go thru? and would it be good for that much work?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Depends on the type of snow. Dry "fluffy" snow is one thing... heavy wet snow is another. Six inches of wet snow is tough on an ATV.

Personally, I think 20 driveways per storm will wear that ATV and/or plow out pretty quickly.

Good luck.
  3. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I've used a Grizz 660 on a mile of gravel road the past 4 years; no problems, though knee-deep wet stuff puts up a good fight. In my situation the first pass is always down grade, which helps. And for the most part I'm not pushing/stacking - the blade is at full angle to "windrow" snow in one direction via multiple passes.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Fluffy snow you can plow about 6". Your ATV has enough power to plow more but, it will come over the top of the plow if you plow more than 6". If it's wet snow you won't beable to push more than 4".
  5. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

I added a rubber flap to the top of my plow (48" on Sportsman 600) and have plowed 12'' just fine. I've also plowed 6" of wet snow without any trouble at all. Of course, Utah "wet snow" is probably a lot different than east coast wet snow.
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

FWIW, I\'ll never buy or recommend another Polaris product in my life. Bought an \'05 Sportsman 500 HO with 92 miles on it and have now spent more money fixing it than I did to buy it.

What a POS.
  7. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

According to Moose, "Even the smallest displacement of modern 4x4 ATVs can "push" a 60" blade full of snow." http://www.mooseutilities.com/how_to.jsp

I have a 60" blade with a stiff, upright rubber powder flap and I've rolled every bit of 2' of dry and 16" of wet. The latter was 2' of snow compacted by hours of rainfall to become 16" of really nasty stuff. Traction seems to be more of an issue than power: "sandbags and chains." My Yamaha seems to absorb the abuse but the blade (Warn) is a different story: rib welds have popped, a rib punctured the moldboard, busted skid shoes, gravel chewed halfway through the push tubes. By now there's almost more welding rod and bar stock than original metal.
  8. noooooo

noooooo Member

You really have to be careful when buying a used atv. If abused, atv's can be money pits. If it was mud bogged, 92 miles is a lot of wear and tear. I have been pushing snow for 5 years with a Polaris atv with zero issues. If there is a lot of snow you don't have to push with a full blade everytime.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict