1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polar Edge

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Buddhaman, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Can anyone tell me where to get a urethane edge for a Blizzard 860 and how much they cost compared to the standard steel? Do they last a lot longer than the standard? My steel one is pretty worn down already. Just put it on this year. Do I have to get it through the dealer? Hope not, my local dealer isn't too bright. :waving:

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

You have to buy the edge through a dealer. They last longer, make less noise, and are more forgiving than the steel edge. Not sure about price for that blade.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The edges run about $240 for the 860. We have them in stock and so do alot of other dealers. Jerre

4. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Cleaning

Do the urethane edges clean down to blacktop as well as the steel ones?

5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

They will not punch through hard pack as well, but they do an excellent job with wet slop and they do a lot less damage. We only use urethane.

6. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

i put the polar edges on my my 810 and 1 wing edge bent and wont come back. not a happy camper.

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There is a piece of steel inside the urethane. Take it off and give it a whack with a big hammer to straighten it.

8. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

DESTEFANO3782

My name is Gregg Blair. I work for Superior Engineered Elastomers, manufacturer of the Polar Edge. Can you tell me, or send photos of where the wing bent, and do you have any details regarding how it got bent?

Peter's recommendation to hit it with a big hammer seems like the best solution to me.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gregg

9. DESTEFANO3782

the dealer replaced the edge nocharge suposivley it bent because the pressure didnt release the wing because the lines were crossed so it took a hard hit.

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

So, the Polar Edge had nothing to do with it?

11. DESTEFANO3782

I Guess In A Sense It Did Because It Wasnt Able To With Stand The Impact Witch Caused It To Bend. Hopefully It Wont Happen Again

12. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the input. I ordered a polar edge todayfor $240. :waving: Now we just need some more snow so I can play. Hopefully it holds up more than the steel one. I have about 25 accounts, hopefully it will last more than half a season.

13. DESTEFANO3782

oh they last you wont need those damn skid shoes. but they tend to chatter in wet snow when they rub against the pavement. the blizzard save alot of time but they dont hold up like a fisher. when you hit manholes and curbs they dont handle the abuse. awsome concept way to many places for things to go rong

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did it bend like this? I have heard of several people who have had their wing hoses reversed. You should be thankful that all you did was bend the urethane edge. The result of reversed hoses that I saw personally was a wing cylinder that was shaped like a U. Your dealer better have swapped it out at no charge.

Misc Blizzard pics 001_edited (Small).jpg

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm willing to bet good money it will last. We burned off the steel edge on our first 8611 in about 50-60 hours of plowing. Installed the urethane and still have yet to see much if any wear on it. It was installed last January. The 8611 is a much heavier plow than the 860.

Destefano, I have to disagree with you on how long the plow will last. They haven't been out long enough to say whether it will last as long or longer than the Fisher. Look at the hit you took and all that was damaged was the edge. And that never should have happened if the dealer would have been paying attention on the install. Yes, there are more wear and moving parts on these plows, but to say they won't last as long can not be determined yet.

Same thing was said about Boss and the other v-plows when they started coming out on the market. Too many moving parts. Won't last, won't hold up to the abuse, etc, etc. That was almost 20 years ago.

16. DESTEFANO3782

yea it bent like that. it took them 6 times of replacing the pistons and hoses to figure out they had crossed my lines