1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plz help engine temp. 03 HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by the hd, Jan 5, 2005.

1. the hd

the hd Junior Member

i own a 2003 2500 hd 6.0 L , with a 8.2 boss v plow, the problem is when traveling longer distances it likes to run 225-260 in 2003 it never did this but feb. or so of 2004 it started to do this and still contiues if anyone can help please let me know thanx the hd my personal e mail is axelshack@klinktech.net also thanx...

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It seem's most GM's have this problem. I have owned nothing but GM 2500HD for plowing and no matter the truck 83-89 they did this only when the plow was on and on highway or above 45 mph for long periods. I have seen many other's with newer trucks say the same. Make sure you flush the rad every fall but the best option is a good electric fan. Since doing this it has eliminated the problem on the 88 I now have.

Not sure if this is a problem with other make's. I just bought a 1998 Dodge 2500HD and it has not done this yet. Have had it on highway with plow just to test and after 50 miles it still was only at 190 degree.

Have been up for 2 days so am getting some rest before going back out later. hope this helps as I prolly wont see your response for a long day or so.

Happy plowing.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2005

JKOOPERS Senior Member

try lowering the plow alittle bi. have 2000 gmc 1500 and temp Never goes over 190
  4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

the gmc 2500 cure

i had the same problem on all my trucks. my 2002 gmc 2500hd did exactly what your truck did. no matter how i angled the plow the temperature never would drop after it started going over 210. i replaced the fan clutch and no more problems, so far. it seems that if you have a this problem and your truck has plow prep, you could get it fixed for free through your dealer. but it must have the plow prep package and i think it has to be under a warranty too. also search this site more, theres about an hour of reading just about this truck alone.
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Do a search on the clutch fan on this site... there is a post in the chevy forum about his. I had my clutch fan replaced under warrenty, but have yet to put plow on since the change, but I should have to plow tomorrow so we will see if it helps...
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

My truck (89 3/4 ton) just started doing this, itself. I was going to siggest the fan wear also, but it has already been mentioned. Another thing to do, is when driving the highway, lower the plow as low as possible (a few incxhes off ground) when transporting. You can raiswe it back up when you get off highway. We were just dicussing last night building some foils for these. It's a wonder someone doesn't have an aftermarket foil for these. I seriously think this is what I'm going to do here in the near future. Look on Blizzaerd's website, and under the options, there is a picture of one. I think it is a really cool idea (no pun intended). It would be so simple to build. You could evem make it adjustable if you wanted.
  7. brian m

brian m Member

I was having the same problem with my 2003 2500HD, the fan clutch was bad, had it replaced yesterday and plowed 10 hours today with several highway runs carrying an 8.5' Fisher v-plow and the temp never went over 210.
    I found that this is a very common problem with the newer gm trucks, so if you have one that runs hot while carrying a plow, check the fan clutch ASAP before you cook the engine!

So Sean, why can't I post pictures here???