1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plug this thing in or not?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cumminswithplow, Dec 21, 2004.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Hey guys. I just bought an 05 cummins today. Any one have any suggestions for when to plug her in at night. They are saying the low here is going to be -4. What about grill inserts for the winter?
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Totalty up to you but I plug mine in anytime it is bellow freezing. Just seems to be easer on everything. although it will still start at -20 without pluging it in.
  3. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

I own a Ford 2003 6.0psd we get temps at the lowest 5-10 degrees I plugged in once -20 didn't see much difference, truck warmed up a bit faster,but if its E Z to do do it on all cold nites cant hurt. :salute:
  4. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I would say anything under about 25. They wouldn't have made the option to plug it in if it was good for it. You don't get alot of oil generating to where it needs to go when its cold very quickly.
  5. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

1fast4X4- Plug Her IN-- when the TEMP goes Below Freezing 32 Degrees! as All Engine Heaters Only Use JUICE when Their First Plugged IN! & If? YOU were just Operating Your Truck? & Its all Nice & WARM! the Engine Heater will keep It Warm & Not COST CRAP!--to Operate! & by all means ADD the Grill Insert! as It Protects Your Engine from a Constant Blast of Very COLD AIR--as YOU Drive at Highway Speeds! & Diesels Run COOLER than Gas Jobs!-Thus! NO Problems!--Ole JIM--
  6. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

I don't know how much "juice" your heater pulls but since mine pulls quite a bit I have one of those heavy duty timers that turns on the heater about three hours before I need it.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I plug mine in all the time. It is on a timer. I have too much invested not to spend a little bit on hydro. It will be a lot easier on the truck and it will give you piece of mind knowing it is going to start when you turn the key.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Plug her in under freezing- definatly when 20F or less. I need my 96 plugged in under freezing now since I am needing new Batts, other wise mine will start without plugging down to 6 below or so (coldest it's been here since I bought it)

Cummins is the only engine company to use Maifold heaters instead of glow plugs so pay no attention to the plug int habbits and cold start habits of any Ford or Chevy owners- their trucks are totally different. Glow plugs only have to heat the cylinder which is relativly speaking much smaller than the entire intake manifold volume so they start easier to colder temps without plugging, but Glow plugs are unreliable in comparison to the manifold system. Dodges will start to 20 below with double cycling of the heaters- read your OM.

Oh, and NEVER use starting fliud in a Dodge- the manifold heaters will ignite it and can cause an explosion in the manifold- (shouldn't use it at all in turbo charged engines unless it's direct cynilder injected anyway)