1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plug In When Cold

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Jan 14, 2004.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Anyone out there with chevy v8 plug use the plug in feature when it get very cold like now. Please refresh my memory as to what it does and how long you should keep it plugged in, are there any potential hazards that can occur from plugging in. I feel really stupid asking this but the other day I noticed a plug hanging down out of the drivers side front tire. Then I remembered back in 96 I ordered it. Thanks as always

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

plugging in just decreases the warm up time and reduces wear associated with a motor running while cold. its not needed but it definatly dosnt hurt. Plus its nice to fire up your truck and have heat pretty much instantly. In reeeeeaaaaaaly cold weather it may make a difference between starting and not but we are talking cold. It usualy takes 3 hours to warm up so if you set it on a timer to turn on 3 hours before you need to boggie it will be warm yet not suck unneeded juice. Thats the only downside. It sucks juice. Fire depts keep em plugged in all the time.

3. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

juice from my house or battery, will be below 0 this evening with snow also comming.

4. ratlover

from IL

juice from your house. I think they say it takes 1000w for the duramax heater but thats off memory. I know I have popped the breaker at my appt twice but that plug is on a circiut of the person on the bottom level and I dont know they were using? Maybe she was making some toast while blowdrying her hair and kicked on the space heater to knock off the chill in the air :confused:

5. ratlover

from IL

oh......and most heaters heat the water in the block. Yours will be of that type. There are also oil heaters......

Mine will make my water temp a shade over 100deg regardless of what its like outside(got a digital guage hooked up)

remember though that even if your water temp is fine you shouldnt beat on your truck right waway since everything else from the oil to the trany to the rear end will still be cold.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a diesel and I plug mine in anytime it gets below 20 degrees. Just to be safe.:nod:

7. GPB

GPB Member

With a gas motor you dont need to plug them in, but its a whole lot easier on them, especially if its below zero. Years back, before I had a garage, I forgot to plug my truck in one cold night and it hit -40. The truck reluctantly started but it sounded like a diesel and had no oil pressure for 20-30 seconds. It didnt do any damage, but I learned a valuable lesson.
    Now I have a heated shed that I park everything in. So I get to jump into a nice 60 degree truck every morning. :D

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone had problems plugging their truck into a GFI circuit. Was told it can blow the GFI. :D

9. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

What everybody forgets about block heaters is that there is less stress on your batteries when starting.

10. GPB

GPB Member

04superduty.
    There isnt any problem with GFI's. All exterior outlets, including the ones inside the garage, have to be a GFI. This is required by building code and has been that way for years.(In minnesota anyway). If your heater is tripping a GFI, theres probably something wrong with the heater.

11. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Not 100% correct on a bad heater scenario. A GFCI can be real sensitive in damp weather even if there is not a problem with the heater or extension cord or even a shock hazard. It could be simply a defective GFCI.

12. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

plug in

I just started pluggin in this week. I like how it is instatntly warm in the truck.

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Looked for the heater plug today on my 02 HD 8.1.Manual says it's in the driver front near power steering resevoir.It was getting dark when I looked but if it is where I think it is it looks like a PITA to get out.Manual also says to fold the cord back up with the strap.That seems to be a bigger pain.It does not seem to be user friendly,but maybe I am not looking at the thing.What are you're experiences with the ease of using it

14. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

plug in

Mine is on the passenger side
    I just let mine hang in the wheel well and plug in at night when its cold.
    www.dieselplace.com has some good info on your truck.
    Good luck
    Its well worth finding it.
    It does cost extra bucks per night/ 1000 watts

15. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Thanks for the tips,ghostrunner.Will check out in the daylite.If I remembered I had it ,I could have put it to good use this week.Nites 20-25 below,days-5--10 all week.Will check out the dieselpage.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine's located under the bumper. Even though having a warm truck in the morning is nice, the main reason I plug mine in is to keep the coolant and fuel warm.:waving: