1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plug and Play with Westerns

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dlongerman, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

I have a Wide Out on my truck. I Would like to be able to hook it up to a MVP Plus and a Pro Plus Straight blade.

All of them are Ultra Mounts. I want to do this with my 2010 F250.

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the MVP+ is no problem, the wiring and control is the same (multiplex). Western is currently changing the rest of the plows to multiplex, but most Pro Plus's around currently would not be. If the pro plus has three plugs then it's not compatible with the wiring you have.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As said above, the Wide-out and MVP + are cross compatible but to make it work with an old style straight blade as well you will need to add another control cable, main power relay and a second (non-multiplexed) power cable. You can use the same headlight harness and isolation module but you will need to make one splice or take the time to plug in the correct control harness each time you change plows. If you go ahead you will have two power plugs, one new control plug and your existing headlight plug for a total of four plugs at the grill. I personally have rigged my F550 to run all and any Western Ultra-mount models. I have one three port isolation module, one headlight harness and three different control harnesses. In the cab there are three control dongels (but I never plug in more than one at a time) and at the grill I have five plugs. In my case I didn't want to have to go under the hood to plug in the appropriate harness so I spliced all three together. I can run the Wide-out, MVP+ and HTS on the multiplex setup, I run the straight blades on another set of plugs and finally I can run the old three plug regular MVP on another plug. Note that I did have to run two different power relays because the MVP and straight blades use different polarity for the common coil wire on the relay coil. One used common positive while the other uses common ground.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the cost of switching your straight blade over to Fleet-Flex. Could be close to the same price as adding a bunch of additional harnesses and a lot less headaches.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Converting to Flet Flex is an option but I don't think it would be any less headache. The onboard plow controller will be $400 alone whereas the two cables and a relay would be only about $200. Further to this the cables can be easily fitted under the hood with no major modification or inconvenience.

The problem I see with converting to multiplex is doing a nice job of mounting the controller and relay on the plow in such a way that they will be somewhat protective from the whether. The only Flet Flex (Multiplex) straight I have seen is the HTS and it has a big ugly shroud to cover all the extra parts on the plow.