1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ploy or steel

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ildiesel86, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ildiesel86

ildiesel86 Junior Member

hey guys question. i have a steel 7'6 western plow. cable control on an 86 k-5 diesel blazer. the plow works great and the truck runs great. anyways i got a second truck which will be out plowing next winter but im not sure what western i want to get. its a 2006 GMC seria 2500HD diesel crew cab, short bed. the plow will be a 7'6 due to weight but im not sure if i want the pro ploy or steel. can you guys give me some advice on which one to get. thanks.

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

personally i like steel plows because they seem tougher and are a little heavier which is nice for backdragging

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

The Western web site rates the 7.6 steel pro @ #682 lbs minus the truck mount and the 7.6 Poly pro @ #712 lbs so the poly is infact heavier, you would think the steel would be heavier, but because there are more braces on the poly it makes it heavier.

4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

sorry i guess i should have done more research before i posted

5. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I've got an '06 silverado extended cab D/A. I shopped around for a little bit and went with an 8 ft snoway 29 series poly. It was a few hundred lbs lighter and I went with the downpressure which does wonders either backdragging or pushing. Good luck with the choice, plenty of good plows around!

6. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Yup, poly is heavyer and I wouldn't have anything but a poly, they throw snow better and snow doesnt stick as much. Oh yea and they don't rust, of course the frames can. :rolleyes:

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You don't have to be sorry, thats how I learned now you know and you'll be able to help someone else.

8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

A poly western is actually heavier than a steel plow. There is more steel that makes the frame of a poly plow that is why it is heavier. If you get wet snow sticking to a steel plow your going to be heavier than a poly.I have had a western ploy pro and liked the fact that is looked new a couple years later. Just keep it out of the sun!!! Western also incudes a snow flap standard with their poly plows. If blizzard made a ploy plow I'd have one!!!

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If Blizzard made a poly plow, I am sure they would still find a way for the poly to rust. :)

10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah but that rusty plow would sure move alot of snow!!!!!!

Again if it was a western i'd say go with the poly !

11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

No argument from me on that one. Rust just gives the 810 it's signature.

12. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I like the poly better then the steel less snow drag and less painting and sanding.