1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowz and Mowz

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 603chevy551, Jan 16, 2015.

1. 603chevy551

603chevy551 Junior Member

Hey has anyone seen the ad for this site? What are your thoughts on this site it looks like a joke to me
  2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Theres an article in Turf Magazine this month about them.....I think they take up to 30% for any jobs you do for them....One time service provider
  3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I would avoid it
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I feel it's more for a solo guy
    If I sent my guys then lost 30% I wouldn't make any money
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'd pass,
    It also looks like it could a liability nightmare.

Different people plowing the same drive,
    Then spring comes and it's who did this damage.

I like to se the drive before any snow falls.
    We charge a premium to do a one time call during the season.
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats an interesting point something i had not thought of. Although they have assured me they dont track where your current accounts are; on a FB post of theirs, Im still not sure I would want them to know where my location is at any point in time. The other thing you have to think about is, I am betting (i dont know this is true, but it would make sense) there is some agreement that you cannot hand out your personal business card to the property owner when plowing a drive/lot for them. Would that also mean, you cannot have your vehicle lettered and phone number listed? Advertising is advertising IMO. To be "legal" in MI (not sure if that is a state or federal law) anyways, you have to have the name of your business, and city and state listed in 2 inch letters on the sides of your vehicle. I can bet that most everyone has their phone listed too...
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If someone is using this app,they are not interested in a contract, most likely they shovel their driveway,Only time they'll use it if there is more then a foot of snow.
  8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

That makes sense too. Payment goes up for a foot right? Those are the ones I try to avoid. I did a "favor" for a client of mine (an uncle). Last storm, we got a foot of snow, he came out and asked if I could go and do his son's house, and my uncle would pay for me to plow his driveway. Gave me the address (or so he thought), and I couldn't find the property. Turns out it was a West 17th address, not East 17th (pretty bad when you dont know where your own son lives). After figuring that out, I go to plow and it hasnt been done all season. My cousin comes out of the house after ive plowed most of the back yard (because thats where he parks off an alley) and he said, what are you going to do with pile to the east of the house. I said, its there to stay. He said theres a driveway there and the person who lives on the main floor sometimes shovels. Well, I couldn't tell there was a driveway there (dont think I could have fit my truck between the house and fence anyway) and told him he would have to have a bob cat or small tractor come in and clean that out if they wanted it opened. Well, long story short, uncle got charged double what I normaly charge him for his 2 inch trigger. Really thinking for a city driveway/yard I will start quoting per inch and actually make some money for crap work like that.
  9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

This does not look like it can have a good outcome. Could be a new provider every time. I suppose if you could not find any work??????????? Maybe I will give them a buzz to do my driveway cuz it is never done on time. :)
  10. Supperdude16

Supperdude16 Junior Member

I talked to a representative on the phone, they tried to get us to sign up.

I was like you think you can sit there and get 10% of the sale on a low bid? I can't make any money. Easier to find the customers myself

Don't think it's happening. Too low of price, but who knows

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

Any success stories

Did anyone do any work for them last season? If so did they pay?
  12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I had a friend who said he was going to give it a try to just add on at the end of storms. I do not think he ever did.

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

Ok thanks. I'm going to do the same.
  14. citywide

citywide Junior Member

I did work for them last year... yes they paid with-in a couple of days (direct deposit). There was a lot of jobs I only took a few as I was running a snowbear plow and didn't want to go nuts.

My big issue with it was you couldn't "plow with the storm" as most people would wait until the end of the storm to request a plow.

Also found a couple of people who lied about the size of their driveway, but if you call-in and tell them they will up the amount.

just got a new truck GMC1500 with 7' fisher plow so may take on a little more this year.

(for the record I do not have my own customers or sub to anyone so it works for me being able to pick and choose jobs - and yes I am fully insured)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  15. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

How do they handle liability issues? If the home owner trips over a snow chunk at the edge of his driveway, and breaks his hip..Or ice that gets exposed, and a hip gets broken?
    And who sets the price?
    A friend wants me to sign up so they "open" the service up here....
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just like you have to check"accept" when downlowing an app. Most likely hidden in the about not being responsible
  17. quad cities

quad cities Junior Member

This is just like Uber I think spelled correctly price fluctuates depending on calls and volume. Was just watching it on national news.
  18. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I actually went ahead and signed up as a service provider for one of these services in my area. Not for plowz and mowz but a canadian equivalent.

So far it hasn't been a bad experience. I mainly did it because I'm a bit nerdy and like to check these things out / play with them.

I noticed while they may keep 30% the amount they charge is on average 40% more than I do on flag downs any ways. (Plus more calls / snow equals higher price.) Which is where I figured they'd fit in. Not as my main source of income by any means but if it means two or three more drives along the route that's being driven anyways it can't hurt to take em. So far that's exactly how it's worked out the two snow falls we've had enough snow to get people using the app. It payed for the days fuel. which is by no means going to make me a millionaire but every little bit helps. It also helps that I think I'm the only provider in my city. Jobs that come up outside of my existing routes seem to just expire and fall off the board with out being taken.
    Nothing bad has happened yet so it's only half the experience at this point I guess too. I'll keep updating if **** happens and as I use it more but so far it's not too bad.
  19. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I didn't like the idea when I read the article last week. But, if they are charging appropriately ( high enough that the provider is making what they feel they should) plus their commission, then fine. People aren't going to pay that around here, well, not many.