1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowsite Member Ozzyr333 fixing MM1 upright

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJS, Feb 24, 2015.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ozzy dropped off his lower upright to me last night. At first it just had cracked where the A-frame back pins attach. Well by the time he took it all apart it was in 3 pieces. LOL. I will post pics and some documentation of the repair here, I am going to beef it up as well. Just want to help out some fellow Plowsite memebers here. Also his truck has I think over a 6 inch lift so his A-frame is not level with the ground. This may be causing the issue. We are going to talk about modifying the A-frame after the season. Stay tuned.
    T.J.

2. here re some pics of what it looked like beofre taking plow off and take the mounts off the plow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

post some pics of the truck too. a lift on a plow truck can wreak all sorts of havoc.

nice of you to offer help TJ. based on pics of your other work i'm sure this will leave your place stronger than it did from the factory.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i've seen that truck around!!! you live in newtown? i've seen it parked across from hilarios many times. i always said to myself that truck is a bit too tall for a plow!!!! i live on currituck.

in fact i think on sunday as i was going home after my route i passed you as you were getting off exit 9 of 84. heres an old thread with pics of my truck. you may have seen it around....

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91106

i've been meaning to get down to TJ's place for a while. He's a great guy and educated me on bridgeport milling machines when i was looking to get one. i thought i had some cool toys, but he has me beat!!!

5. yes you did pass me on Sunday and yea i is for a stock plow just a need a little MODs thrown at it and it will sound be fine think. and i have seen you around as well i Love The 96 you got there.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok here we go. I got it in three pieces. Good thing I had my MM1 set up to take measurements off of.

[​IMG]
    This is the three pieces.

[​IMG]
    Nothing is really square except the front of the angle and my bench edge. I got each side as square as I could.

[​IMG]
    Clamped the center section to the bench and tack welded to the bench.

[​IMG]
    Used the Miller Dynasty 300DX for this repair.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    After tacking the center section to the bench I started on the left side set up. Got the part that bolts to the rest of the upright as level as I could.

[​IMG]
    I assume Fisher keeps this part square. Again, using what I got to square is up.Tacked it together.

[​IMG]
    Made one root pass. Then went back and made a second to level it off.

[​IMG]
    Located some .250 angle and had to trim the legs. I also notched this area for the bottom where the tangs protrude. A few minutes on the milling machine and the plates are ready.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    Here are the plates. I wanted to round out the top part to further prevent cracking.

[​IMG]
    Welding the plate on. You can see the notch I am talking about. Also see that crap powder coating dripping on the bench from the other side. This stuff stinks and messes up my argon. I had to stop and put out the powdercoat fire a few times.

[​IMG]
    Right side plate done.

[​IMG]
    Both sides done. Ready for prime and paint.

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Findings: you really need the other part of the upright to use as a jig. This thing shrunk quite a bit. Ozzy and I have ideas to get this back together that he is going to implement. Also, to really make life easier it should have been completely sandblasted. However, in the essence of time that was not feasible right now.
    T.J.

10. 512high

512high Senior Member

Very Nice Work! I wish you or I were local, so I could learn from you, I just bought a small Hobart Mig to have at the shop for small projects etc. but you are a pro! Great Job

11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Learn how to weld ;). Looks awesome! I love taking broken things and making them better and stronger than they ever were. Great job!

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Your TIG welds look great. Nice work!

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks. Ozzy got it back together. I guess he is out plowing. Just in time.

14. Hey Guys sorry its taken me so long to get back on and post how the plow works Truck went down on me. the plow on the other hand works wonderful so much stronger it used to sway and move like a rag doll in the wind now its nice and stiff thanks to TJS for a quick repair of the plow now me and TJ are looking to Correct the A-frame this summer.