1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jul 4, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Hi Guys,

I bet you thought you wouldn't hear from me again until winter. I have some questions (imagine that!) about Western plows.

Would you recommend a 7.5' or 8' on a 2500HD? The width of the truck (outside of tire to outside of tire) is about 80", and the full angle width of a 7.5" plow is 78"; Is this going to cause me problems? How often do you plow at full angle?

The other thing I am wondering about is the weight; the 8' plow is 710# while the 7.5' is 590#. Can the truck handle the extra weight? Will I need load boosters or the like?

I appreciate any advice or opinions,

Joel B.

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

For that truck I would get the 8ft and nothing less. The weight will not be a problem. You could even do an 8.5 plow.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I too would go 8-8.5 ft. 7.5 is too small.

I think you will find that the majority of plowing is at full angle.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

come on,
    a 2500 HD. totally a 8 foot plow.
    thanks,
    stay safe

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

In the pix I posted on the other thread, that's a 8.5 Western MVP plow. Truck handles the plow great.
    I'm hoping you have the plow prep package with that truck.
    Load Boosters are not nessary. The only thing you will need to do is crank up the torsion bars a few turns, but thats a pice of cake 30 sec. w/ wrench.

Go with the MVP. Amazing what the V will do for ya.
    Scoop between cars in lots & moving that little spot in the middle of the lot ya somehow missed. V for getting thru. many feet of snow & not getting pushed to the side.

For plowing I wish I had gotten the sort box, but need the space for my summer work.

The only thing I dont like about the MPV is that it really dug into the pavement a bit to much. I'm thinking about going with Polly edge but I hear thay arnt all that great for getting the pack/ice.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2002
  6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Yes, the truck does have the plow prep package.

Joel B.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Jeez, Joel. I didnt even get to finish editing my post before you responded....:drinkup:

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Definately get at least the 8 footer

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

At least 8'.

I'd recommend getting a "V" plow. I went with a straight blade, thinking it would be plenty. Another "live and learn mistake".:(

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't recall how much plowing you're planning to do, but a V plow will definately speed the process. Take a look at Blizzard's 810 Power Plow too. I bought one last year and am happy with it so far. Do a search here on "blizzard plow" for performance reports.

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' plow would be too small. If your number is correct, then your truck tires will be packing down 2" of snow which does not sounds much, but when you are turning your truck, then that number will increase alot and that would leave some snow packed. When that happen, it would sometime be difficult to plow the packed snow because sometime the plow would ride up over it. For your truck I would go with 8' or 8.5' plow.

12. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

Definately 8' or bigger.

They had snow in Barrow, Alaska 2 days ago for you die hards.

13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

plow

I have a 95 K2500. its not hd but i have a meyers c-8 on it and it holds it just fine. i didn't even have mess with the torsion bars. but 8' is the way to go. if u can afford it, i would go with a v plow. my likes are boss and western. my 2cents

wishfull thinking.jpg

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

What is those white stuff on the ground?

15. 95zII

95zII Junior Member

Since you've got a good heavy truck, you might as well go as big as you can. Either a 9ft straight or Vee. I've got a '97 8600 lb 2500 and it's got a 9'1" snowway vee on it and there isn't any problems.