1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows, Plows, Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by veltenslawncare, Sep 21, 2004.

1. veltenslawncare

veltenslawncare Junior Member

so many options, so little knowledge
    starting to plow this year........2000 chevy 1500, 4x4, 5.8L V8
    i like the boss the best, then the blizzard.
    ive seen them both including meyers, fisher, etc.
    i just want to know what everybody likes, uses, recomends.
    i just want a straight blade.
    im asking so i dont get sucked into the hype of the companies
    7'8"-8' will be fine in width
    the boss seems to have it all, easy on/off, durability, etc
  2. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

I can't help you any but I am in the same vote as to you, on what to buy....trying to figure out what is best??
  3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Since this is your first post I would recommend reading other posts and doing a search. You will see what every one is using and like/dislike. Dealer support is the first thing you need to find out.
  4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

There are several posts on this topic for that truck. I have the same rig and am facing the same decision. Leaning toward the Blizzard 760LT because of its light weight. While other blades will fit, the Chevy half ton isn't the best platform to support much weight up front.

1957 Dodge K8-D100
    1999 Kubota L3010HST
    2002 Chevy K1500 5.3L
  5. veltenslawncare

i have tried the search, but for some reason it wont work, i would have tried that first..........so im just going with what works.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The GM trucks have no problem holding the weight of a plow..

Pick a dealer that can service you if needed, unless you feel you can do any work that might be needed....
  7. c_maint

c_maint Member

I started out with a meyers 7.5 I bought used. When I bought it, it was 4 years old. I never had a problem with it. Very dependable. The only draw back was that it was too light. Most of my accounts are back dragging. Last year I bought a new F-350 crew cab short bed with a new western 8'. It's been good to me so far. It's heavier so back dragging is better. Hooking it up is simple. It takes half the time it took to put on the meyers.
    Good luck find your plow
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would get a boss 7.5 if you like them, although you could get away with it, you should stay away from the 8' plow on a 1500, especially if your just doing driveways you don't want too big of a plow.
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The chevy should be able to handle a STANDARD duty 8 ft straight blade
    , with a little suspension help. I would never try to put on a V blade or the Blizzard on a half ton truck.
  10. catskill

catskill Junior Member

go with the fisher mm2

just got the fisher mm2 8ft.heavy duty for my f250 superduty,it looks plenty rugged and sure is enough of them around.the fishstick set-up is just what the doc ordered.
  11. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have a 8' Fisher HD on my F250 and it works great. I have not had any issues with this set up since starting my plowing business a couple years ago.
  12. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Unfortunately you will get as many answers as there are plow manufacturers. A lot of it depends on geographical location or what brand someone started with [ie In the northeast you will rarely see a plow other that a Fisher (Maine Based Company)or a pusher other that Pro-Tech (New York Based Company)].

Read all the product specifications and make your best judgement.

The only comment I have is most GM's I have seen (Please Note: I said "I" and "most") do not take the front end weight very well especially with a 1/2 ton, so consider plows on the lighter side or upgrade your springs. But always keep in mind your FGAWR (Front Gross Axle Weight Rating).

Have fun and Good Luck! - michael
  13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Blizzard makes smaller straight blades w/o the wings on them, so not all of them are monsters weighing 900lbs.
  14. veltenslawncare

thanks for all the help, any more is greatly appreciated, every little bit of info helps
  15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the western ultra mount easy mount 7.5 pro plow
  16. veltenslawncare

so out of the plows i agree about getting about a 7.5-8 ' plow, but standard duty or super duty, would i know the difference. also i already have the heavy duty springs
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Most" companies will let you know whether the plow is a heavy duty -

For instance - Fisher's designation is:

LD = Light Duty (homeowner for thier own property)
    RD = Regular Duty (for 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks, may used for some commercial).
    HD = Heavy Duty (generally 3/4 ton trucks or higher, for heavy commercial use)
    MC = Municipal --- (?). These are very large, heavy plows used on highways.

So a common plow for a 1/2 ton truck would be a 7 1/2RD.

Some brands will call their plows "Personal Use" plows. These are generally very light-weight plows and may or may not have hydraulics. They are not intended as commercial-use plows.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  18. jbok19

jbok19 Member

check out the superplow

You should look at the Driveway Superplow too. Its a rear mount plow made of heavy guage steel.
  19. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Remember you will need support. So picking a dealer that will support the plow is very important.