1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows...Packed Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Jan 11, 2010.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

This question focuses mainly on driveways but commercial lots could be considered as well...We are all used to it, after a day or two of a snow the snow gets packed down if it has not been removed properly or just not at all...Then you get those calls to come and pry up the 4-6" of packed snow/ice...fortunately this is the packed snow that if you get under it with a shovel it will pry up in sheets therefore it's easier to remove than just srictly ice...

My question is how do plows do with this?...If you make a starting point down to the actual pavement are the plows able to push or pull and break the sheet of packed snow? Front plows or back plows, i'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this other than a shovel, i just don't have much experience with a plow

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Salt heavily, allow to form a slush, plow off slush when salt stops working and becomes too diluted, salt again, plow again......Repeat as needed. Never had much luck getting purchase on hardpack to break it up. A skidsteer may do well depending on conditions.........

3. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Tractor with fel. or a skid. I use a 4x4 with fel and it works great. The front blade of the truck won't generally do it. Of course I charge more to bring the tractor on site. The customer is usually just trying to save money and waits untill there is a problem. So they get to pay for it.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you have 4-6 inches of packed snow in the lot?

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

fel= front end loader??? And GV makes a good point!!!!

6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ha, ya i wasn't sure exactly what that meant...and i know where you're getting at GV with why is there packed snow if i was doing a good job and i agree with you on that, only i don't do commercial lots and only do about 20 driveways...the packed snow comes from people who don't have me lined up already to come and do their drive, they wait for it to become a problem, so it's basically a random call a few days after the snow...

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

We just had a 3-4 day storm over Christmas... topped off a foot of snow with four inches of slush... then temp went to -10 to -20 within a few hours for lasted over a week straight. One of our townhomes is complaining about the hard pack -even though it was plowed per contract.

I know GV is making a good point, but these people were home over the Holiday and drove over the crap repeatedly OR were parked in their driveway preventing any service at all. Somehow this is our fault!

Had to take the opportunity to rant... the only bare pavement lots up here are mostly commercial that had NO traffic (except our plows) over Christmas, and accounts that have been salted repeatedly.

Temps are warming to the mid 30s this week... we are using forestfireguys method... salt, scrape, repeat.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they are "we'll call you" people don't worry about it just plow what you can ,then sign them up for next year.

9. Tkobobcat

Tkobobcat Junior Member

Skidsteer........

10. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ya i agree, only some people aren't happy with that, they want it done now...and to be honest i don't mind doing drives like this, i charge a lot because first of all i can and second, i don't wanna do this ****, ha...we did a typical two car drive maybe two cars deep at most the other day for $125, didn't even take an hour...did one today for $70...apparently from what i read on here people in my area seem to pay well compared to other areas,so if i were to do it right there could be a lot of money to be made on resi...i wouldn't do a drive for any less than $35 and usually i charge $45, given this year we have had A LOT of snow...

back to the main point though, i'm looking for a more productive/ less fatiguing way of doing this...yes a skidsteer is ideal but we already have a nice truck to plow with

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think even a plow with Down Pressure will pull that stuff up. It's either a machine with a bucket or salt/scrape.

12. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

I just read your post and I new where you were from before I checked. Nice snow we had to plow huh?

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

You are looking at a tractor and bucket to get that mess up..................

14. speedy

speedy Senior Member

A skid steer with one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ya, that's exactly what i'm talking about...maybe skids are really the only way to go

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does that spin or vibrate?

17. speedy

speedy Senior Member

It will spin, it's not powered or anything. It's self-sharpening, just swing the skiddy back and forth and peel it up as you go. I would imagine if you are dealing with stubborn ice, there will be some spots that it will not pull up, but just hit them with some salt and later in the day or the next day - if there's been some decent warth or sunshine, it'll pull that up too.

It's a genuine BOBCAT attachment.

I've never seen one personally, I don't know how thick they are, or if it is an entirely concave piece, like a farm implement disk.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's pretty cool.

19. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I just did a driveway with a 90 " snow bucket on the skid for a one time customer, but I want one of those scrapers bad... Funny, but my list never seems to get any shorter... payuppayupussmileyflag

What you may consider is renting a skid & scraper for a day, tell the customers how much it will be, & make the rounds & make some cash. You wouldn't really need a big skid with the scraper. Med size would do probably.

20. speedy

speedy Senior Member

I think it would be handy to have a second skid there at the same time. The one with the scraper will bust all the chunks loose, then you're trying to maintain traction to swipe back and forth, the other skid, or even a plow truck if you can tear it out in 'lanes' can take that nasty stuff away. Then you have bare asphalt for the needed traction.

I've used a 936 Caterpillar loader to tear out 4 to 5 inches of hard-packed snow. Have the bucket tipped forwards, with the cutting edge nearly vertical and put the boom in 'float' and chew it up. It's a wonder that the dogbone or tilt cylinder never busted.