1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows on or Plows off??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowfire1979, Nov 13, 2014.

1. snowfire1979

snowfire1979 Member

I have 7 trucks all set up with plows and in previous years i would constantly take the plows off and put them back on when needed, I am in MD it only snows off and on @30" a year avg. I was considering just leaving them on just to save in the labor but maybe its a wash because instead of labor im paying for wear and tear? Opinions?

2. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

What is your main business? Do you use all trucks every day? I wash my plow and leave it in shop after storm unless there is one right behind it.

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

If the main business is just plowing leave them on...

For me I take them off after plowing as the truck are driven for other reasons. Driving around with them on all the time puts just way to much wear and tear on your truck no matter WHAT you do.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I wait 4-5 days after storm for a couple reasons: I make nightly property checks to all my accounts for 3-4 days after storm to check for ice and clean out any spaces that had a car parked in it when I originally plowed, so I need the plow for the first few days after storm anyways. The second reason is that I always go to the car wash about 2 miles from my home and clean the plow really well before I take it off the truck, and I like to try to wait until the salt is off the roads so I don't clean it, only to kick slush and salt water back onto it on my way home from the car wash. But after that time period, it gets cleaned, removed and put back in the garage until day before the next forecasted storm. Who wants a daily driver with a 1100lb, 10.5' wide chunk of metal on the front of their truck anyways right? But I only have 1 truck to contend with. I might think differently if I had to go through that process 7 times after each storm or pay a couple guys the few hours it would take to do it, JMO.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I take the plow off my personal truck but everything else stays on the whole winter unless we need the truck for something. If the trucks are out driving around, I would take them off. If you're only using them for snow I would keep them on.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How will everyone know you're cool if you don't drive around with the plow on?

7. snowfire1979

snowfire1979 Member

Thanks for the opinions. I think i agree the wear and tear is rough, these are everyday on the road trucks....thanks again!

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly! Lol

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.......