1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plows on mowers????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Sep 10, 2007.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok , im not a fan of it, but im trying to find better ways of doing sidewalks, snow blowers are nice, when its a light snow, and they run properly, but are not consistent with different conditions. The best i found is tractors with hydo, blades - (john Deere) work great, but spending $4,000.00 plus per unit is just not in this years budget, I took on more work, and need to buy other things , so is a snow blade for a mower a good cheap option?? Does it work well, ?? i know jrco makes one, and i can fabricate as well, would this work well, on not worth it??? im sure it would only do 4 inches or less but would this work?

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we use a manual blade on our cub cadet lawn mower and it works well for the many walks we do. i use weights and chains with it, and we rent a small storage shed downtown, very close to our work and just drive the mower from job to job.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest plowing company in my neck of the woods uses plows that are mounted on JD F725s. They must work because they do all the big box stores in town.

4. cobraman

cobraman Member

I have one on my JD and it worked great until we got that 12 inch snow last winter. It was good up to about 4-5 inches with the weights and chains.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i know that JD tractors, of all types work well, I have a lot of expereance with them, but like i said, not looking to spend $4000 per rig --- I was talking about , outfitting, walkbehind mowers with blades???? i could take the deck off, I have a few that are not going to be used next season, were going to be sold, - so would a small $500. investment work?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has some walk behind Gravelies with blades on them and they seem to work well for him. I think they use to have mowers on them.

7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

If you are talking about Scag style walk behinds... I would say it can be done. A hydro turn would be best to try it on, the older belt drives might slip once they get wet. You will need to do something for traction, tires, chains, weight, etc. The weight of the deck balances those machines out so you will want to build a plow with roughly the same weight as the deck to keep the plow down on the ground and not wanting to lift up. Look for a cheap garden tractor plow. It will need alot of fabrication to make it work. I'm not sure how efficient it will be when the going gets a little heavy. Hope that helps a little.

8. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

If you currently own an atv try that

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I thought I had thought of everything that could be used for sidewalks, but I never considered a walk behind mower.

Sounds like you have snow blowers for heavier snow falls?

Are you going to use a sulky for the operator to ride on?

A couple of thoughts are popping in my head.
    The first one was what about one of those bristle brooms they have for skid steers to sweep parking lots.

Second was if you make a blade, what about the trip edge. Hitting a curb with it will send the guy over the handle bars.(been there, done that) Last year I fabricated a V blade and put rubber cutting edge on it for scraping and it acts like the trip edge for my quad.

Third what about raising and lowering the blade. Could hinge it on either side and flip it up on the deck when not in use. Flip it down to plow. Down force is an issue that you would have to address.

Fourth would be adding weight to the front of the machine to keep the front end down and traction to the back.

Good Luck. Would love to see pics when finished.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

Yea, I have taken alot of that into consideration, I an in the process of buying a few tractors, but I still need more equiptment, My thought on the mowers, was simply that i have a few that are in good condition, at I was going to sell at the end of this year. Instead, I thought that a 42 inch (36 angled) would work, after all, anyone that has ever lost control of there mower while operating it, could tell you that they will practically climb a tree. i thought they could push snow, and the cornering ablity would be better. Still not sure about raise/lower-- Down force would be having the blade anged back(down) at a shallower than normal angle ( 45 degrees with the ground) to allow snow to build and keep the blade down, however i would have to sacrific the "snow rolling" abblity --
    trip, edge- still with springs ( pre made atv/or tractor kit) as well as a rubber edge. I thought of adding counter weights to the end of the mower, along with chains or bar tires. Sulky, would be nice, but not going over complicate the unit. I want this to be simple, and small, so i was going to take off the decks, and weld a caster assembly that would bolt inplace of the deck ( 1 caster wheel in the center)

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  12. elite1msmith

from chicago

the decks are "fixed " decks not floating, so if the deck comes off theres nothing to support the front, drive tires only in the rear -- if you raise the plow something has to support it -- I thought that the plow would pin up similar to the pics above, at the sides, so the center would be free to have a single cast wheel -- and three wheels vs. four - in theory should provide more down force at the drive tires, because the weight is divided by 3 tires instead of 4???

13. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I think you have a good idea of what you want to do.I can't wait to see pice of the prototype.