1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows on Diesel trucks?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Zack1978, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hi everyone,
    If you read some of my other posts, I "might" be looking at a 2005 F250 crew cab long bed 4x4. I was looking at the Fisher ematch site, and they don't even list the 6.0 Diesel as an engine. What is the deal? I seem to remember a friend saying that the problem with Diesel trucks with plows is the weight on the front end. Is that a true statement? Is a plow on a Diesel harder on the truck than a gas engine?

2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Pay attention to plow manufacturers reccomendations.

Diesel engines are very heavy. Unless you beef up the front end a full size plow will overload the front end on all but standard cab.

I run a 7.3 SuperCab and 8.5 MVP, but I beefed up the front suspension and added 1K rear ballast.

The plow manufacturers have a pretty good idea what stock trucks can handle.
  3. Pushin_On

Pushin_On Junior Member

Heavier springs.

I have a 1996 f 350 with the diesel and they recomended putting heavier springs in the front. I went with replacing my old spring and the new set came with 3 springs instead of 2. Im glad i did, i used spring works out of Grand Junction, Colorado. But im sure you can find them where your at. It rides a little rougher. But sure is a good plowing truck. Hope this helps.
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

IIRC Ford does not recommend a plow on a diesel CC LWB because it will be over the front axle weight rating. Even with heavier springs on that truck you still will have not addressed the axle weight rating. I have a RC LWB diesel and from the factory I was able to get the plow package which has much stiffer front springs compared to non plow prep package. The PSD weighs about #1050 thats getting close to double what a small block weighs.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  5. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I run an 8ft Ultra Mount Pro Plus on my super cab short bed 6.0 diesel...not one problem!
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Boss 7'6" Straight Blade w/ Boss wings on a '04 F-250 SuperCab 6.0 Powerstroke, no problems. Just remember to ballast. When putting your truck information into the Boss website, they say up to a 9'2" Steel V Plow....:)
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try the Western plow match, see if they do. Blizzard's site does.

I have a '00 SC with a 8'6" Fisher and have had excellent luck with it. Also have an '05 CC SB with a Blizzard 8611 LP, heavier than any V plow Fisher makes. It's only overloaded if you have the cab full of people and the plow hung. An '05 should have the heavier front axle because that's when they changed the front suspension.
  8. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I've got an 8' Fisher HD on my '03 F250 Supercab Shortbed Powerstroke 7.3L Diesel and have no problems. It came with the 8800# GVWR and the "MAX Front GAWR" option packages.... This truck can PUSH with all that torque!
  9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Plows on Diesel Trucks??

I DONO? but seeing I*M an Ole GUY! I think? any One that BUYS a New Vehicle should Get what they Paid For! a Good Vehicle that Runs & looks good for a very Long Time! Trouble Free Period! as the Cost Enough! reguardless of the Make? my Pinion All vehicle manufacturs have Lost their Quality in their Flooding their Market! as here localy theres more New Vehicles than there are PEOPLE able to Buy them! yrs Ago even New Dealers lots had a Dozen Vehicles Now theres Acres of Them I*M a Retired Trucker & Yrs Ago MACK was the TRUCK! in the HD Dept I remember Buying My First "R" Series a Twin Screw Tractor Bright RED w/ a 237 HP & a 5 Speed w/ a low hole w/ 22 inch Rubber for Aprox the Price of a Stripped Pick Up Today! I ran it for Yrs lots of Tires & Brakes but NO Mechanical Problems! NO Not ONE! & w/ over 3/4 of a Million Miles the Drive Train never had a Wrench turned on It Even over Tired I Greased It & washed It before I washed UP & Ate myself! & I maintained it to the Letter! One Hell of Ah TRUCK I traded It for a Kenworth & was Allowed more than I paid for It the Kenworth was a Nice Truck but It wasn*t the Truck that MACK was! Prettyer? & Ran Good but Trucks are a lot like Women? as theres some YOU never Forget? & the Also Ran? but NO Cigar? My MACK was all MACK but after my MACK I learned a lot about the other makes of trucks! Big Power Cummins & Cat Engines were Best Roadranger 13 speeds & Rockwell Rears Mich Tires & Fancy Cabs as Your livng in IT so Be Comfortable MACK -Kenwort & Perterbuilt were Great for Service NO Hassels & Done Right the First Time! & all those Little Things Fixed w/ No Questions Asked! & NO Bill NOW! there like Every thing Else! they All Cost Far Too Much & the Quality had Drppped! as Plastic has taken Over! ME I*M Glad to be OLD! as I SALUTE all You Younger Fellers!! as YOU Work Hard & YOU should Get a Good Truck for the Money You have To PAY! GOD BLESS YOU ALL!! as I Pray YOU All PROSPER! Ole Tower
  10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

8611LP on a 03 F350 PSD CC

The only thing I did was put X code springs in it.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Looks like there is a glitch with that e-match. 6.0 is listed with the 6.5 bed.
    You won't have any problem with that truck as far as adding a plow and weight. Do you have the plow prep package? I not you may be kissing the factory warranty out the window if it still in.