1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows on agricultural tractors

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by CMD, Jan 26, 2016.

1. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Thinking off mounting a fisher XLS on a kubota 7060 , I have a Normand 92 on the rear and believe wil make a stand alone machine on its route . Will build a full length sub frame to Attach head gear . My question is whether your have to alter the front end , there is no suspension it's basically a dead axle .

Do standard tractors support plows ok ?

2. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

I have 9-2 boss vxt on my Kubota M7040 and a 92" normand on the back. It works great! Have a mount built so you can still put some suitcase weights on the front, I have 5 on mine and I think its a good balanced machine. I am also running my plow electric just like on a truck and have had zero problems with that. You will love having the plow. I use the plow on gravel driveway, and the blower on the paved. Good luck

3. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Sounds like what I had in mind , assume you added a second battery ? Did you run the mount back the full length of tractor? Any issues with front end or tires ? Any pic's ?

Thank you

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've been running sub frames on tractors since the 70's and to wasn't until the last few years we've had front suspension. You might have to run more air then recommended but 30psi doesn't seem to hurt anything.

5. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

I did not run a second battery. I tested the draw while using the plow and everything was good to go. I did not wire the plow lights to work because I put some bright leds on the tractor, and also they would draw a lot of juice. The mount goes under the front axle and then ties into the loader frame. The loader frame holds the 2 half's of the tractor together and I figured that the plow will not stress the frame as much as doing loader work would. I will try to post some pics today.

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

One of the desireable attributes of using an inverted blower on a tractor is it's maneuverability and nimbleness. You will lose a bit, maybe quite a bit, of that by hanging a straight blade or wideout on the machine. You will not lose much by hanging a v-blade on the front as the wings tuck nicely into the tractor. FYI, we have both and the operator loves the v setup and has plowed a season with both.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed 1 night with a Blizzard on a tractor. It sucked. Changed some equipment/routes around, ended up with a dedicated tractor/blower combo. I love it.

Second choice would be the V as Herm systed.

8. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

We presently have the loader on the tractor along with the blower so we are not as nimble as could be , but at times the bucket is very handy . Hoping to have the versatility of all three , blower /plow during the storm and being able to switch to the bucket after , the new kubota system is pretty easy to drop and add.

I agree plow lights would be redundant and great to know the pump might not over-draw the system , will start there .

Running just the blower does not work as stand alone with our snow and the type of service we perform , but the versatility with plow and bucket /blower I can just follow the crew with the salt truck

9. luckey

luckey Junior Member

Would putting a wing plow (ie metal pless or HLA) on the front drastically reduce mobility? or would its ability to narrow be similar to V plow? Currently using just blower(92" inverted) for all drives and roads at townhome complex, about 50 drives. Have opportunity for 120 more next year with additional 1.5 mi roads. Was thinking/hoping adding wing plow would be able to use just one tractor/blower/blade combination for all. Some of drives are right across from eachother, could use blower one side, as I pull out of that drive, pull into other side and backdrag with blade. In my mind it is working great, thoughts? And the front blade would speed up clearing roads also (limited places to put snow).

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Remember a MetalPlessis or HLA is still a straight plow hanging up front, so yes you would lose maneuverability. In addition you have to (ok should) ask your self the followowing; Will I be able to generate enough in sales to warrant the investment?

11. luckey

luckey Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I realize I'll loose some maneuverability, was hoping I might cut time nearly in half for driveways that are directly across from each other, as well as reduce time clearing roads. My thought was it would be pushing it to do all 170 drives(2 complexes about 2 mi apart) with one tractor/blower, but would be possible with tractor/blower/blade combination. Was thinking 9-15 blade, put on either 110 or 135 hp tractor. Have 2 now, not sure I want a 3rd outfit yet. Income wise it would be justifiable.

12. snoboss

snoboss Member

snowing and box blade

Swiss army knife of snow removal! march photos 2016 005.jpg

march photos 2016 005.jpg

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

V's have to many moving parts......

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dangit, what was I thinking?