1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plows on 2011 F-150?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pelt35, Jan 21, 2011.

1. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

I heard that Ford does not want plows on their new F-150's because of electric steering getting screwed up or something. Any one hear more about it?

2. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

All the different snow plow manufacturers received information from Ford that because of the electrical system on the 2011 F150, a snow plow may not be put onto the trucks. They are worried that the electrical power steering put on the new trucks could not handle the electrical use by the snow plow.

3. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Electrical Power Steering???

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think if you look at the instantaneous / peak loading that some of the new Fisher & Western plows note in their specs, you'd have some cause for concern too. Some of the numbers will really open your eyes.

As for "electric power steering," instead of running a power steering pump off the serpentine belt and causing parasitic power losses, several manufacturers have come out with power steering pumps run by a small electric motor. Kind of clever actually. No more parasitic loss. If you then consider that your steering depends on a certain amount of power being available whenever you need it - then factor in that big occasional load from a plow, well ...

5. beezil

beezil Junior Member
    from chicago

6. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

In other words, if you get a crew cab with the 6.2 engine, there is no snow plow prep, but the electrical system can handle the snow plow. Hmm.. A lot of guys use the crew cabs to plow with. so you can have a plow on an F150.

7. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

What was Ford thinking a lot of people use their F150 for plowing their own driveway not a smart move.

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Fisher, Western, Sno-way, Boss, Meyer, etc. don't list the F-150 at all for 2011.

9. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

All those plow dealers list plows for the 2009/2010 F150. Front end mounts are the same. So in theory a plow could be mounted on a supercrew with a 6.2 engine, using an 09/10 mount. :mechanic: A lot of homeowners put plows on the supercrews to plow their drives and a few use them for commercial use. The F150 with the 6.2 engine does not have the electric steering.

10. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

Sno Way lists there 26 series straight blade as being able to be used on all 2011 F150's

11. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I read somewhere that said sno way is the only plow comany ford approved to come out with a plow mount for the truck.

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Basher was just talking about this today, here's his latest post about it --> Plow on 2011 F150

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway lists both the 2011 F-150 and the F150 ecoboost

14. Big Drifts

Big Drifts Junior Member

SnoWay no longer makes the mount for the eco-boost engines due to airflow restriction to the engines intercooler. It should also be noted in the model notes the 26 series does not work on the F150 with the 6.2 L engine as well.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Last I knew mounts are available if the customer wishes to install it themselves.

16. snowayecoboost

snowayecoboost Junior Member
    from i

2011 f150 ecoboost with snoway

I have been wanting to reply to this thread since the beginning of the 2011 snow season. I am one of the few who was ballzy enough to put a 26 series snoway on my brand spankin new ecoboost. I also well educated myself with all these threads and spoke to the head tech in snoway before making the purchase of the truck anyway. I was scared but i said F it. I even got in a fight with a local snoway dealer who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I was trying to buy a cross member from him. ANYWAYS. That said. I LOVE the setup. The day I installed the plow i had to move the truck an hour away and it happened to be 70 degrees outside. I was on the highway with the blade blocking the intercooler. NO PROBLEMS. we only had 3 storms this year but NO PROBLEM. Snoway is know for there minimal voltage draw. So stick with them I have been using there equipment for 10 years. The lower intercool bracket was in the way and is a little tricky to install but other than that, HOME run!! If I have a warranty issue I will install a winch between the side plates!! Ok lets see all the comments. Happy plowing!!!

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

great to hear.Thumbs Up