1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows on 04 150s

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 4x4 Ford, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 4x4 Ford

4x4 Ford Junior Member
    from PA

hi my name is lamont i have a 04 f150 supercrew fx4 and would like to know if it will hold up for snowplowing. iam new to the snowplowing gig. but i do know a fair amount about ford pickups.i have been a ford fan since i was a kid.fords just have the right stuff. thanks in advance for any advice

2. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

well it depends on how you plow and how much you plow, if you are going to plow as a commorcial non stop, then IMO the truck will need to be a little bigger, there are a lot of ppl plowing with small ranger trucks and other SUV, but just me I don't belive that small rigs made to plow as a commorcial , maybe ok for driveways and personal use, but ofcourse many will tell you: no problem as long as you take care of your truck and being carful.
    Best of Luck.

3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well your going to need to give us more info to advise you on plows for the truck. Ford front FGVW can range from 3450lbs all the way up to on the true HD150 models, that have springs that are 4200 lbs . So take a look at your door jam and give out that information ???
    In general you are fine for the newer "light weight plows"[under 600lbs] with the standard 3600 lb springs and timbrens . If you want to buy a real plow say in the 600 plus pound range your going to need 3900lb springs [they are standard on an FX4] and if you are going to consider commercial plowing since we already know your truck is not an HD model you would want to look into a 250HD . And since Ford had three different models in 2004 to include the "new style"refered to as "Standard" or they offered the Herritage?; and Lightings? Them being basically the same suspension as a 1998 F150 you need to say if it is newer body style? As that truck has a compleatly different suspension ????
    Hope that helps...................

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011