1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows for 1999 Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheSnowBoyPro, Dec 23, 2004.

1. TheSnowBoyPro

TheSnowBoyPro Junior Member

Anyone have experience with a Dodge 2500 w/ a plow? I am definetly going to get a plow for my new baby, But I need to know what wirks best for driveways, and a couple of smaller parking lots.

2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

I personally would install a western ultra-mount 7.5 pro plow
    (which western approves for your truck)

easy on, easy off.

it will cost you about 3200.00 (not installed) good luck, plowtech :)

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get what ever plow you like best.. get at least an 8 ft blade.
    I would get a 8ft boss V plow for that 2500 :drinkup:

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Definitaly go with a western on the dodge. I have the same exact truck, a 1999 dodge ram 2500 with a western 7.5 uni mount. go with the western Ultra Mount! Truck handles the 7.5 Great!

5. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

I have a 99 2500 extended cab long box with the 360 that I have had a plow on since December 98. I ordered the truck with the plow prep and put a 7.5 Fisher mm on it. I don't do a ton of plowing but it has held up flawless since day one (knock on wood). I would consider an 8' or a V for the length of truck though. There is very little sag with the 7.5 but a friends 8' Fisher sagged a little bit too much for my liking on it. I have just the factory suspension, no helpers or timbrens.

Scott

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a 8ft hiniker on my 01, 2500, long box, crew cab, with the snow plow prep package, there is very little nose drop with the plow lifted, I also use about 500 to 600 of counter weight. I also have a 98, 2500, short box, crew cab, with a 8ft boss v blade, also about 500 to600lb of counter weight with stock springs( no plow perp package) the front sagged to much for my taste so installed some new coil springs (47's driver side 46 passenger side)
    It now has very little sag..
    well good luck, But I don't think you should use a small 7ft plow on a 3/4 ton, 7ft'ers are for jeeps and other rice burners..
    The 7ft'er is to small, why? because when your plowing in deep snow or wind rowing to the side the snow is not pushed far enough away from the truck, allowing it to spill back under your wheels.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hes not doing heavy comercial work. The 7.5 blade would work perfect for what hes doing. The 7.5 blade is nice. Not to small, Not to big. I have a 7.5 western uni on my 3/4 ton dodge and I never had the snow spill back under my tires. I also use it for my comercial work and the truck handles it great!

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You can put a 7.5 plow on a 3/4 ton longbed and it will work fine. But with the blade angled and turning you will not plow your tracks. Not a big deal if you are not plowing and turning alot. Straight runs and driveways you would be fine. I have a 3/4 ton with a 7.5' western ultra and its fine. but I took it one step further this year and put a set of Pro Wings on it and now its 9'4" and its works even better. We run 7.5 plows on the older Ford 3/4 tons too and have done that for years.

Loren,

If you go with a Western plow get the Ultra Mount system, you will not be sorry. So easy to hook up. As far as other brands, I don't have any expierience with their new hitches except the old conventional style Myers and Westerns. Just about all manufacturers make excellent hitch systems these days.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Even for residential, i think you will find yourself wanting an 8' on that truck. 8' is perfect size, 7'5" will be a little on the small side.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The extra 3 inches to each side with an 8'er is like night and day. Unless you plan on doing the tightest worst driveways go with the 7'6". But you probally have the wrong rig anyway if that is the plan. A Jeep with a blade is the driveway king around here. If you purchase a new blade get the 8', then your all set for doing commercial and you can handle most residentials :)
    Todd

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i cant make up my mind on fisher or western i like em both

12. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

I've got a western MVP 8.6ft on my 1999 Dodge 2500 cummins. I put Timbrens on the front and it only sags 1-2inches. It holds the weight well, I'Ve got 600lbs of sand bags in the back, with the money pit, always in the shop Ariens snowblower. Also have a 100gallon L shaped diesel tank in the back for the two cat skid steers we run. good luck with your plow selection.

13. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I have a western 7.5 ultra mount on a 2001 dodge 2500 and I love it. A do residential and commercial accounts and it works great, and if you buy the 7.5 you can always get wings and make the plow a little longer. the best of both worlds. Hope it helps .......

14. SCL

SCL Senior Member

96 2500HD with a 7.5 Western and wings. I do drives, small commercials, and even a small factory. Works quite well.
    I also have an f350 with an 8' Fisher. I LOVE the trip edge. I believe its best to have it on a really heavy truck though, as it seems a little tough on em. Moves gobs of snow and central hydraulics make it fast as lightning.
    Just acquired a GMS 3500HD with a 9' Meyer, but can't tell you anything about it. Only, The plow frame sits way to low in the front.

15. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

Before my '04 I had a '01 2500 sport like yours with a 7.5 Western Poly Pro on it Uni-mount. That truck moved a lot of snow. I mostly plowed a local Kmart and had no probs whatso ever. I love my Western plows. Be aware that they will have to cut the plastic valence under the bumper for the undercarrage but it doesn't look bad. My trucks all have the Cumminws also. Good luck

16. TheSnowBoyPro

hmmm, sounds like western is the way to go. I was thinking the Blizzard w/ the extention wings, as opposed to a V-plow. Decisions decisions. well, anyhow,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! :waving:

17. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Nice truck. Cummins? How much did you pay?

I'm looking for a Dodge 3/4 Cummins for a personal truck. Might have to wait till summer though, the way that the snow is falling here :angry: :realmad: :dizzy: :(

18. TheSnowBoyPro

1999 Dodge 2500

-Fully Loaded (CD/Tape/Radio, Power/Heated Mirrors, Power/Heated Seats, Leather Interior, Trailer Brake Equipped, etc, etc, etc)
    -V8 Mag
    -Sport Package
    -Bed topper

All for a grand total of:

$6800.00

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Stay away from extension wings- if the plow is sized right for the truck they are not needed.
    Get an 8 foot- 7-1/2 is too small for a full size truck. At straight across you will be your own track width meaning if you angle the blade your not plowing the snow from infront of your tires = easier to loose traction.

to anyone mentioning about plowing smaller driveways to use the 7- think about it for a second- full size truck and small driveways don;t mix. Standard driveway width is 8'2". Use the blade to your advantage and don;t waste time trying to plow a small driveway that should be plowed with a jeep.

I have always used Fishers, and don;t like the V blades- too heavy to carry around all the time, in effecient for angle plowing from the center point, and they always leave a trail at the center point no matter how you adjust the rubber thingy.

Now an important point is is th Dodge a Diesel or Gas? While Western may approve of the plow on that truck with gas diesel may be another story and more importantly Dodge will not approve of the plow on the diesel- the lighter Dana 60's they use in the 2500's from 94-2000 (lighter being semi floating- as opposed to the 3500 modesl useing full floating) are not rated for the engine weight plus a plow setup weight- voids warranties (not an issue here) and contributes to front end wear out at an unbelievable rate. I have a 96 diesel that I have plowed with for 5 years and counting.

20. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Man I disagree against the wings. Plow wings hold snow in on the sides and leave less trails, thus cutting plow time. Larger swipe means less swipes with no trailoff. Also, 7.5" with wings = >9'. And wings can be taken off in tight situations.

As far as the expandable Blizzard, most guys just love em, and I'd love to try one. Big bucks though :cool: