1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows: does Color matter?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tony h, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tony h

tony h Junior Member

I'm a homeowner with that has two tractors.
    One Small tractor came with a plow that needs much TLC. So straightening it and painting it is in the very near future. Maybe I'm overthinking this but would a Lighter color plow be best so the Sun doesn't make it hot and get the snow to sticking OR is a darker one better so the Sun can heat it and melt the stuck snow off?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Snow doesn't stick to red paint. Yellow paint will make the plow break down constantly.

3. tony h

tony h Junior Member

I guess you favor BOSS or Western over the Meyer or Fisher.
    Seriously The reason I ask is because here on Long Island we seem to have wet heavy snow, that clings to shovels and plows and Clogs Snowthrowers..not light fluffy stuff that floats off the plows and snow blowers

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you have lights then you'd want a darker color. If you don't have them then any color you choose

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

think visibility, if not for you for others that might be on your land. Never hurts to see it "glowing" a bright colour so you dont back into it ir something. Red,orange, yellow seen blue

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

x2 .... Lmao !!!!!

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Generally, as you are actually plowing, the cold from the snow will vastly overpower the hot from the sun. Since this is so, darker may be better SPECIFICALLY TO melt the snow off of it when you're not actually using it.

Now, as others have suggested, you may want to consider VISIBILITY. White or light blue will be the LEAST visible colors. Dark colors will contrast better against the white snow. Red's tend to be the most visible for truck plows on the road, especially at night. Of course that doesn't matter on a tractor, so go with whatever you think *looks* the best. Camo maybe?

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Wow...if you want snow not to stick, just coat it with fluid film. A rolled coat of paint will lay down smooth too and there will be less sticking. It shouldn't matter what color you paint it.
    Or, buy a can of WD-40 and spray the moldboard...
    Or, Pam cooking spray if your reallly cheap....

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Paint it a color that is readily available. don't buy some fancy paint that you can never find again for touch ups. Paint it what ever color you want.

10. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

im not sure about this idea but maybe it will work , some leaf spring paints have grafite in it to make leaf springs more slippery maybe something like that will work on your plow . not sure just throwing it out there .,

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Rust colored brown seems to be the preferred choice in my area. They usually have matching colored trucks too...

12. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

You should paint a topless lady on the blade like the WWII pilots used to do.:drinkup: