1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows Disappearing in Maine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brookside, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Brookside

Brookside Member

Just in time for thanksgiving comes a report on the TV news about the Good Shepard food bank losing a 10' plow blade - nice. A fellow businessman stopped by today to warn us about leaving our Minute Mounts unattended in the parking lot, even though they are right in front of our building with lights on all night. He said people are driving up and hooking on, gone in a minute. He told me a local landscaper just lost 2 plows. Now I'm making sure there's a vehicle in front of the plows if they're not hooked on. I suppose it's happening everywhere.
  2. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Fuggin scumbags :angry:
  3. little pat

little pat Member

Maybe treating them to a little lead poisoning will set them straight.
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

My plow is locked to the truck. Or locked and have the loader to my kubota resting on top of it. Everyone around here has a Meyer, so they seem to walk real easily. I also have my upper tube frame locked to the truck too.
    And for you guys with meyer's pumps you should have that locked up too.

I can't wait until I can get a blizzard. Because no one around here could steal it.
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

10 mins to a main road for me.. Couldn't find my stuff if you knew what you were looking for:gunsfiring:
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've often wondered how come there are so many MMs laying around yet I never hear about them being stolen. I would at least hide it or put a lock through the mount somehow. I hate to say it, but there is a guy in Auburn Me. who sells used MMs on Ebay, in the pics you can see a garage bay filled with them. I've actually talked to him about parts, he seemed like a heck of a nice guy, I wouldn't want to cast him in a bad light. I'm not saying he comes by them illegally, but who knows about the people he is buying them from. People like him run ads in all the little classifieds offering to buy used plows, then paint them up and resell them. Some of them got to be hot. I mean, if you deal in used plows and some guy shows up want quick cash for nice MM, are you going to ask a lot of questions? Even if you do, you couldn't really verify anything. Heck, I bought my Blizzard in Maine, and I don't know anything about the history of it.
  7. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

I would love to catch someone trying to steal my pump or blade, I will bet money that would be the last thing he would ever try to steal....:gunsfiring:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Chain it up or put something in front of it. Make it hard for them to steal it. But no matter what if they want it bad enought they will get it!
  9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The easiest and most profitable thing to steal is the pump assembly. The earlier MM's all you needed was a pair of pliers and two minutes and you were $1100 bucks up. Two cotter pins, two hoses and some wires to cut and seee yaaa.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Stop! Your helping potential thieves! I guess a garage is the best route but not all of us have that!
  11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

scary stories makes me think i should go get a chain and chain that thing to the biggest tree in my backyard :gunsfiring:
  12. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My dad was walking out of the sporting goods store a few years ago an this guy started screaming in the parking lot that someone just stole his new plow.
  13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Stealing from a food bank! I wouldn't want to be plowing with THAT plow...

Too bad somebody wasn't there to give some hydra-shok therapy! :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  14. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

stealing plows

Must take a real man to steal from an organization helping those less fortunate. I keep my plow inside the shop, but if I need to have it in the driveway unhooked, I keep it chained to the fence..Lord help the person who tries to grad it, as my Winchester has a heck of a kick!!
  15. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

For one I wouldn't risk my life trying to steal a meyers :D. They do make locks that you can use to replace the pivot bolts on the pumps and it only takes 5 mins to pull the power cable off of the plow but there's probably a way to make a lock for where the pins slide on to the truck.