1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows and trucks and 3800lbs GVW...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Freddy_Kruger, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

I'm thinking of buying a snow-way plow this year even though I've done well with just snow blowers and shovels in the past.

I priced out a snow-way for $6300 CAD + $500 for install + taxes I would imagine. It's a 29 series, heavy duty.

I haven't bought a truck yet for it but the dealer recommended a 3/4 and said it must have 3800lbs GVW (gross vehicle weight I think that means) apparently this is a law, the cops do vehicle inspections here for plows. He told me to stay away from old fords, GMC were prolly the best... I'm looking at a truck 3-7 years old.

I would be using this plow only for residential drive ways.

SO my question is can I sneak by with a 1/2 Ton? Won't a MT series plow be good enough? I'm not ready to buy for a couple months but I want to learn what I can about this plow business its got to be easier on the back then snow blowers and shovels, lol.tymusic

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

if youve never plowed before and what your doing can be done with a snowblower, get a 1/2 ton and get a lighter duty plow. less money invested to start. I don't know snoway plows so i can't reccomend one for a 1/2 ton truck, im sure someone on here could.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

Your right about the snow blower but if I buy a plow I want to make sure it can do the job. I've seen ppl with these little canadian tire plows and they don't use them. Shoveling by hand is a pain in the butt but is very fast the thing is though I seen a guy last year with a front plow and a rear pull plow, he did two drive ways in less time then I did one and I have to bust my butt lol. He just jumped out to do the sidewalk and in teh very front of the garage.

The most important thing about the snow-way is downpressure while dragging. I'm HOPING it will scrape to the cement in residential driveways that I maintain on every snow over 2 cm. They don't build up is what I'm saying but they do get driven on before I get there. Scraping that up by hand with an ice scraper is sometimes very hard. Good exercise though.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

1/2 ton will do the job for you, and will work fine for your application, just to be safe ide add some timbrens to at least the front axle.

5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

i don't think he is talking about gvw at 3800lbs even a 1/2 ton should be at least 6000 lbs. gvw . he is talking about the front axle weight rating 3800 lbs might be a strech for a 1/2 ton.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The dealer should be able to tell you what plow is recommended for the truck you are interested in. Or you can go to the Snoway web site, use the fit guide and know what snoway makes that will work on that truck. If you are doing exclusively driveways you might want to consider a short bed regular cab, great turning radius and room for you snowblower or salt in the rear.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

for not much more than the cost of a new plow you should be able to find a decent used truck with a plow. Just dont buy something that has plowed commercially, a private driveway homeowner deal would be best. Have you ever thought about liquid treatments for the 2cm concrete driveways? Might be something to consider, you can find info elsewhere on this site.

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

Yeah he was talking about the front axle and apparently he cannot (by law) even put a decent plow on a S10 or Ranger.

I really don't want to buy a 3/4 ton... first the selection is slim for my price range ($10,000) and next year I want to use it for lawn care, too much gas.

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

The Winnipeg dealer quoted me $6300 CAD and another $500 to install but at Snow-way website I can order one for $3700 US (about $4300 CAD) not sure about the shipping....

This is for the 29 series.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would get the 3/4 ton now. It will cost you more and be a big hassle to have to sell the
    1/2 ton when you out grow it. and you might be just getting a plow.

Why he should get a 1/2 ton to start with? That makes no since to me!
    Get more truck than you need.

For 10k you can get a very nice 3/4 ton. There not that hard to find, if you just look around a little.

If he already had a 1/2 ton then he could beat it .. I mean use it up then get a 3/4 ton . But since he has NO truck why should he limit him self with a 1/2 ton?

At a minimum you should get a 3/4 ton for plowing... commercial or not..:waving:

Then you want to use this truck to tow your trailer for your LCO, steer a way fro those CHEEP s10 or rangers, their cheep for a reason. They can not tow , haul or plow. I know some do, but it is very hard on those little vehicles that were not meant to really be a work truck in the first place.

If your worried about millage, you can get a car or a cycle to cruse around. With all of the profits your 3/4 ton will makef or you...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  11. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

I DO have a truck, a Sierra. But its only a one wheel drive it gets stuck even when there's no snow, lol, just a dent in the ice and its stuck. I have put snow tires on the back now so its a bit better. Also got a car.

I got two months to make a buying decision:cool: