1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plows and spreaders?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Feb 16, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

i plow mostly residential and small lots (churches, stores, offices,)I want to know what the best plow and spreader for me. I have a meyers 7footer(old, too small)and spread with a push spreader (works my butt off on the lots)I want to keep my 94 ford f-250 though<br>thanks Nick

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok i have 14 Ford trucks. I also have a 93 F 250, 95 F 250 97 F 250, so i know your truck very well. This is what you want, know i know everyone else i going to say something different. You want an 8.5' diamond pull away plow. Yes, 8.5' if you drive a ford you know the turning radius and 8' isn't big enough. An 8.5' is the perfect size for that truck, and Diamond is the only company that i know of that makes an 8.5. Then get a Diamond 1.8 or 2.0 yard sander and call it good. That truck will take a 2 yards spreader with no problem. <p>Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I a gree with Goeff for the most part,but the Diamond plow is not a quick-mount and requires you to open hydraulic couplers every time you mount and it's a pain to put pins way under the truck.In this day and age this is not cool,+the frame stays there all year and rusts in place.Even if you remove it the lower part stays and reduces ground clearance by enough to make getting to a treestand a chore.The blade is great though.Keep this in mind,a 2yd spreader average is 900 lbs,2yds of sand,5000+ lbs,your truck,5500lbs,a diamond plow 850+lbs,you+tools.That's about 13000 lbs for a 8800GVWR truck.How do you figure that this truck can handle this Geoff?The truck is 40%+ overweight.I think 25% is about the safe limit for these.My E-rated tires are good for 3042 apiece.You need at the minimum better tires or a dually,at least 2 extra leaves in the spring pack,then you still have to stop somehow.Go slow,be careful,or dont fill spreader(yeah right) John DiMartino<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. GeoffD

Well john, guys run 1.8 and 2 yard sanders in 8600 gvw trucks all the time in Maine, i am not saying it's correct but it can be done. Better check out Diamonds web site again, because you can remove the lift frame from the truck, and it's very easy to do. I can attach a Diamond faster than a fisher minute mount but thats another story. Also if you can't undo a few hydrolic couplers then you probably shouldn't be plowing snow. Oh yea the pins are spring loaded, i have never had to lay on the ground to put them in.<p>Geoff<p>

5. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

John,<p>After hearing/reading about problems with electrical couplers, I'd rather be unplugging my hydraulics. The corrosion is not as much an issue on them. The electrics require high current, thus they have to be 'good' connections. I still use the old style Fisher, and can hook it up in under 5 minutes(lots of practice!).<p>The ? about the GVW overload I agree with. I know the trucks will carry this....but the liabilty if you ever caused an accident? Not saying we all haven't been there at some point in time. <p>Dave

6. GeoffD

Ok he said he wanted to keep his Ford F 250. So from a gvw stand point there isn't much he can do. Maybe he can add extra leafs in the springs, i would do all four springs if it was me. Only then the truck is going to ride like a tank, so thats his decision.<p>I don't think a tailgate spreader is very effective spreading sand. So the only way to go is a v-box unit to spread sand and salt. So yes the truck is going to be overloaded, but he doesn't want to get a new truck. So what do you suggest he do, yes he can use a tailgate spreader. Only with a tailgate getting out to re load the sand/salt gets old fast, plus they don't spread sand and salt very well.<p>Yea the trucks overloaded, but there isn't really any other way out.<p>Geoff

7. lawnman

lawnman Junior Member

I would go with a 1.5 yd sander and tibrens loadsprings in back.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

8. John DiMartino

I have a small 1 yd v-box that only weighs 380 lbs empty.I do wish it were a little bigger,but it really pushes the limits of my 2500 LD when I heap it,and if it were bigger I couldn't help but fill it.As for the connectors,I have been plowing for 14 years,with many Meyers,Fishers and Westerns,and 2 Boss v's.I switched to Fisher MMount in 1993 and I still have the same plow+2 more and none of them have ever had any electrical problems to speak of.If you do keep dielectric compound in them and empty the water from the covers before you put them on I believe they will last as long as your hyd. couplers.If you are the type to neglect equipment,and expect it to work with green corrosion on the plugs,then you'd be better off with a coupler.I remember well the days of the frozen couplers and heating them,banging them to get them on.Then the fliud that you leak every time you put one on and off.A sealed system will last longer and you guys risk contaminating your system every time you hook up.My memories of them,and weak Meyer blades are not good,I guess that is why I dont want them anymore.I truely wish my setups had Diamond blades,they are curved nice and the center pivot is very strong,but I love my minute mounts and stand by them,they 've never once let me down.(Knock on wood).Everyone,drive safe and make lot of money on this storm coming from the west tommorrow.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. DaveO

from Ma.

John,<p>You are right about the couplers freezing. Had to use the torch again tonight to connect up. Guess I'm used to it,doesn't take long...but would be nice to not have to.<p>Dave

10. John DiMartino

Dave,In my opinion,couplers bite.I hooked all 3 fishers up tonight without even getting my hands dirty in under 10 minutes,inc moving cars around and cleaning out trucks for storm.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well we could bat this around all night, but here is what i would do.<br>Get a western or fisher v plow. The fact is that if you have only one truck the v plow is the way to go. You can debate me all you want but I will die with this one belief firm in my mind.<br>Next look for a smith/harder 1.5 yd stainless with electric drive spreader. It weighs only 650 lbs and is bulletproof. Being that you have a ford any additional electical load will be to much, so get a larger alternator. The one exception is if you have the diesel, they put larger alternators in the diesels.<br>Also go back through the older threads and posts, alot of discussion about plows and what is better.<br>The other item to add is that your local dealer is as important to your purchasing decision. A fisher dealer open at 11 pm or having the right part in stock is much better then a meyer dealer that never is able to help you. The bottom line is do your research, all plows are pretty good. they will all get the job done, and have about the same reliabilty factors.<br>Most of us are just to stubborn and opinionated to have an open mind about other makes and models. Me included.<br>GO CHEVY-WESTERN-SMITH/HARDER<br>THEY ARE THE VERY BEST ABOVE ALL OTHERS.<br>LOL<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

12. GeoffD

The biggest alternator you can get in a ford f 250 with the 5.8 is 95 amp ( 94 may be different). Nothing bigger, i have tried to find a bigger one. You can had a 1400 CCA battery which will help a little. I just replaced the battery in my 95 f 350, it had a 650 cca it now has a 1100 cca. You can move the plow all you want now, and the lights don't dim at all. Doesn't even bother the thing. If you increase your battery's cca it will help cure a lot of electical draw loads.<p>Geoff

13. Lou

Lou Member

I agree w/Geoff about the battery. You may wish to check out high amp alternators thru the ford truck emergency veh accessories packages...110 to 140's are not uncommon.They are spendy. You can always get a rewire upgrade thru auto elect speciality shops.....

14. John DiMartino

I agree,Geoff.The battery makes a huge diiference in reserve capacity.Both my DoDge and GMC have 140 amp alts,but the Dodge has 2 875CCA batts,the GMC has 1.What a difference it makes.The dodge is the utimate setup as far as I tell because it never even flickers the lights or dims. I jump started my bro's KW with these, the 455Cat fired right up.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The pre-92 Ford Crown Vic police package cars have 5.8 with 120 amp alternators, one of these will work in your truck. Loads of these cars in boneyards ripe for the picking.<p>I cant believe Ford doesnt have a bigger alt available, I bought my 95 Dodge 5.9 gas with a 120amp alt, the new ones have a 137 amp alt. available.<p>Bill

16. DaveO

from Ma.

If I had an electric/hydro setup, I'd have two batteries. Like you have said, the CCA capacity is everything. Then I would try to find a better alternator....but I don't have to,not YET.....next Truck.<p>John, you have a diesel Dodge? Do you like it???<p><br>Dave<br>

17. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

thanks guys. but i didnt get it till after igot my new set up.meyers broke and storm was coming. i went with the fisher stuff. I got ride of the meyers crap.I got the HD series 9'plow and speed caster tailgate spreader(2-stage)I didn't get the hopper type because it was out of my price range.<br>I have been plowing the 3in Maryland got since 6am this morning. I like the plow and and love the spreader(the 2-stage is great)<br>Thanks agin guys<br>plower<p>Ps storms headed for the north east.Very icy take lots of salt.good luck!<p><p>

18. scott

scott Junior Member

i dont know much about plowing,i am new to it this year,but i really like my 8ft boss plow,no lines to hook up and i can mount it in minutes,has anyone had problems with these plows?and is there any problems i should watch for? <p>thankyou<br>scott

19. John DiMartino

Dave,I have a 96 Dodge diesel,I love the truck overall.I will be getting a new one soon,this time I will get Q-cab/short box.It has been a good truck,but it has nickelled and dimed me to death with small things.It has a Cummins under the hood,that and it's roomy ext cab,is why I bought it.It is very strong especially when you turn it up to the power it has as installed in Freightliner or boat.Dodge has the tightest turning radius of all F/S p/u's hands down,this is nice when plowing.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

20. DaveO

from Ma.

John,<p>Any tranny problems?? How long have ya plowed with it?? Been lookin at these trucks for a couple of years...afraid of the trannys. Is this the one on the TDR page? Seems like even the new SD's are having tranny problems too!!! What did you do for upgrades? Banks???<p>Dave