1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plows And Lifted Trucks?????????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MO TOYS, Mar 25, 2007.

1. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

How Do You Attach A Snow Plow To A Chevy With A Six Inch Lift On It?
    I See A Lot Of Lifted Trcuks With Plows But Never Get To See How They Actually Attach It To The Truck.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Most plow manufacturers make drop down brackets. I don't think of that big of a lift though. Also you would need to adjust your hydro lines, chains, (if its a western or a fisher, or a meyer). I my opinion I think it is stupid because the truck sits so high that you become top heavy and with the truck that high the plow blade will be at such a pitch you wont get under any of the snow that good. Thats just my 2 cents. Just leave it stock. or if you have a lifted truck don't plow with it.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i would also like to know how to plow with a lifted truck since my truck is used more for off roading than for plowing.
  6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Why ask why?! You guys are so cynical. But 6" would be the limit, if you go bigger than that you are asking for trouble. The important thing is that the A frame on the plow should be parallel with the ground. You can modify the truck mount to hang lower or the mount ears on the A frame to sit higher. A mix of both would be best. Bottom line is that you will be compromising your plowing or off roading ability or both.
    That said my Jeep is lifted with 3" springs and I didn't modify a thing. Did it compromise the attack angle? Apparently not enough for over 55 customers to care. I do a little wheeling but I did the lift to gain ground clearance for plowing. I know plenty of Chevy owners that have done the same since they sit so low.It's pathetic that you need to put a 2x under the tires of a 3/4 ton to pull up and mount the plow .
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  8. AbsoluteH&L

Ok, I'll give you that. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt that there not morons. I have 3" lifted higher rate springs. Higher rate means they are stiffer. The lift springs are less that 2" taller when each spring is compared side by side, the difference is the rate. I also added extended bump stops so the plow will not try to overload the spring. Maybe I like plowing with a lifted truck. Maybe I like off roading with a plow truck. Maybe I don't have a money tree in my yard and have to plow with what I got.
    Some one asked for advice, so I gave it. Advice not sarcasm:dizzy:
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I want a sports car too but all I have are trucks so I drive them fast on winding roads.:dizzy:
    That is sarcasm:rolleyes:

I gave advice and asked a question. I was not sarcastic but critical of lifting a truck 6".

You can lift your truck as high as you want but your ground clearance is only as high as the lowest part of your truck IE, the bottom of your plow frame or diff housing.

I installed stiffer springs I got form my trucks MFG they raised the truck 2-3 inches and handled the weight of the plow very well.

Like I said do a search and you will find that most people who lift there trucks 6" or more run in to problems. Thats not sarcasm but a fact.
  10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

What year of chevy truck are you interested in lifting? Is it a SFA or an IFS set up , eatheir way I think that a 6" lift may be too much for a plow truck, now different members have said that plowing with a lifted truck is a bad idea which it may be but one thing I look at is when you take a look at Ford F250 & 350 and also Dodge 2500 & 3500 4x4 trucks and compare them to a GM 4x4 truck with a stock suspension there is a big difference.

One thing that you should do is contact different lift kit manufactuers and ask them if there products can handle the extra weight of a plow, not all lift kits are the same so do your homework first, also talk with your plow dealer and ask about mounting a plow on a lifted truck and see what they say.
  11. AbsoluteH&L

Hey look your arguing with some one that agrees with you.:realmad: :jester:
  12. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

no no you guys i am not interested in lifting my truck just wanted to know how it was done i saw a couple of trucks and my curiousity was aroused.
  13. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

My recent experience...
    I am looking for a new plow for my Dodge Ram 2500. 3 inch lift.
    Note; I'm looking for a V or straight w/trip edge.

I was told that with the new hitch systems, the (stock) mount would not drop down far enough to consistantly hook up. The only ones recommended for the truck was a Boss or Hiniker system, because the plow seems to sit higher and the mount on the truck is adjustable far enough (down) to allow for the 3 inch lift. That being said, the Boss mount hangs down far enough that going off road would be questionable, without removing it. It was a good bit lower than the axle up front. The hiniker mount stays tucked up pretty far and did not appear to be a problem (for offroad).
  14. AbsoluteH&L

Like i said if it's only a few inches most just let it ride. If you go over 3" most will modify something. To plow with over 6" of lift is asking for problems, I have guys do it, but whatever.
  15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I spoke to my local Boss dealer and told them that I wanted to install a new Boss V plow on a lifted truck with 2.5" superlift springs up front and that the front bumper was 23" off the ground with 33" tires and they said that it would not be a problem, they said the mount can be adjusted to the vehicle height, but I am just below the limit.
  16. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

All the lifted plow trucks around here are all dinged up with rednecks behind the wheel. Maybe a result of all the blind spots?
  17. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I am laughing a bit, Only because so many Chevy trucks get there nose dragged into the ground when a plow is mounted. Some lift is necessary any way and even at 6 inches the final real height change mounted will be about 4 inches and thats a maybe 4 inches !

Don't sweat it so long as you are not plowing road ways or parking lots , if driveways is your thing the lift will matter little if any except for the occasional awning over the side doors of a few houses ..
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Chevy's front end looks lite but is the easiest to adjust. If your torsion bars are cranked you get a extra 2" of lift for your plow, then in the summer you can let them down. So your not riding in a lumber wagon. Anything 4" and under is fine for a lift, just keep your stock tires and rims for the winter and you"ll be fine if that's what you really want.
  19. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

iam not trying to argue with anyone here but i have a 99 ram 1500 ext. cab i have put 5 inches of lift on this truck and have not noticed a difference in the plowing ability of this truck i did use a mount for the 2500 dodge because they say it sits a little higher for more ground clearance. the way i lifted mine was with v-10 coil springs and 3 inch steel spacers in the front. and then for the rear i used a shackle flip kit. and like i said iam not trying to disagree maybe chevys are alot different but my dodge hasnt noticed a thing with the lift.
  20. Both of my plow trucks have been "lifted".

1st one was a '89 Blazer with a 4" spring lift. Ran narrow (10.5") 33" BFGs on stock 7.5" wide wheels. Thing was a beast...excellent turning radius and never got stuck...presumably cause the extra height. Best part was...didnt even need plow lights! Truck was just high enough not to need them...only a small shadow with plow all the way up. Never over heated on express way either...plenty of airflow to radiator from extra height. The A-frame was a bit raked up towards truck but I never had any problems... I'd guess at more than 4", you might want to consider lowering the plow frame somehow.

2nd one is my current '02 Silverado HD....I cranked it 3" (poor mans lift I guess) and installed 285s just two weeks after buying the truck and having dealer install and the brand new BFG 265s I had bought to replace the 245s! These just sit way to low stock for me..even with 265s. I couldnt stand it...Dodges and Fords sitting much heigher looked like real trucks! I have had no problems plowing and love the looks...still rides like stock too...

I ended up cranking stock keys 3"...maintained factory-like ride with the help of shock extensions. Stock shocks act as limiting straps even stock! Jack yours up...let tire droop then unbolt the shock and watch it drop even further to where the UCA can finally hit factory frame stop! The short shocks cause bad ride when guys crank more than 1-2" cause there now opperating at the extreme of the shock. Also Cognito upper control arm leveling kit is needed when going more than 2". This kit provides extra downward travel for good ride (frame and stock UCA top out in normal driving with guys crank too much...causes jarring ride!), allows proper alignment, and puts your upper ball joint back to a decent angle. I also added Timbrens to aid the torsion bars as the factory designed the suspension to ride on the factory rubber snubber...when you crank, you move the lower control arm away from the snubber. The Timbrens will still maintain contact when cranked...even 3"!

If the "board of approvals" (Wifey) would let me ($$$)...I'd do a 4" and lower the t-bars down an inch...for a total of 6" increase over stock. I'd then remove my troublesome plowlights (damn relays are killing me! Theres like 6 of them in a rats-nest of wiring to give me trouble all year long. I am forced to drive around using truck lights. Going down the road...this is fine...but major glare when the plow is raised for stacking snow!). I'd also lower the frame mount at that point...