1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing ?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jay77, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jay77

jay77 Junior Member

im new to plowing and ive gotta ?? for ya . lets say a customer wants there trigger depth to be 2" ok so that would mean after 2" falls your there to plow ok so if you get a 6" snow then you would prolly plow that account about 3 times at around 2 " intervals am i on the right track?? thanx guys
  2. The Coach

The Coach Junior Member

Good luck !
  3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Yes, but it depends on the situation....

In many cases residentials don't want to be plowed out 3 times during a single storm.

Secondly, If you have a business that isn't open overnight, and its an overnight storm....are you going to go out and plow at 1am, 4am and also at 6am, so they can open at 8am?

Many people have a price depending on accumulation for situations like this. So, if you go out and plow at 2" its one price. But for 6" its another price. That way you only need to plow once.

On the other hand, if you live in an area prone to heavy snowfalls, your customers may assume that when you said "2-inch trigger"...that you meant you weren't going to come for anything under 2-inches....but also not until the end of the storm....regardless of accumulation. Make sure you and your customer are both speaking the same language.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my case "trigger" means I won't plow less than that amount unless specifically requested. I also only plow once per storm - at the end unless it's a prolonged storm or more than 12" or so.
  5. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Every situation is different. Parking lots usually get plowed towards the end of a storm,,,,,unless its during business hours & depends how much snow is going to accumulate. Roadways & residential streets have to be kept open for emergency vehicle access.

A 2" trigger means you will plow the customers property if only "atleast" that much snow has accumulated on the ground. It does not mean that you will begin plowing at that point (unless thats how you write your contract). Simply put, at the trigger amount the snow plowing process will be activated. Any less and it is not.

Snow plowing contracts can be very complex. Make sure you carefully word how the service will be provided for the customer. Avoid wording that can be defined in multiple ways by different people.

TIP: Make sure you have with the signature portion a place for the customer to sign that reads: I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS OF THIS CONTRACT.
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

That is excellent advice....but doesn't a signature mean they agree to the temrs, and its their responsibility to understand it.

Having the line "I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS OF THIS CONTRACT." does make it a lot easier to win the argument with the customer, though.
    "But Mr. Customer, you said you understood the contract. Why is there confusion now?"