1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing without power angle cylinders?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 68scout, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 68scout

68scout Junior Member

The Rams for side to side were beyond shot when I bought the plow. It's going to be awhile before I can come up with the scratch or time to tackle that.

The plow has 3 holes on the back where one can pivot it manually and stick a pin in there.

For extremely light duty (lucky to get 5 inches here) is plowing without the cylinders bad for the mount or the plow in anyway?

I'm thinking it might be a bad idea, but after tons of searching I see there are a few manual angle plows on older trucks and I assume this is how they achieve a blade angle is by manually turning it and putting a pin in there.

Or do I need something to brace it? Like some shocks or something temporary?

Would drilling 2 more holes for a total of 6 blade positions be a bad Idea?

I have a full shop out back and weld so I am not afraid to fabricate.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

You should be fine just to use that pin........I knew a guy that always just had his angled left......he seems to work it well....

My cylinders were shot when I got my old plow too...I bought rebuild kits for them, about $20 each...Wasn't a big job to do.....10 years later, they still work fine.
  3. 68scout

68scout Junior Member

I appreciate the reply. So I guess I won't worry about it then. We don't get nearly the snow in a season here in NC that you do in a day up in Ontario.

This is more of a hobby for me. I've always wanted a snowplow since I was a kid. When I saw this one pop on CL for $150 for everything I snatched it up.

My scout is 2wd, but with chains and weight I figure I can handle the 5 inch panic storm we might get and go out and have a little fun...maybe make some $$. People down here freak over 1/2 inch lol

Any problems with drilling 2 additional holes so I can pin in 5 positions? or will I weaken it. I think it will be ok but am not sure

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Me too...I am retired now and just having fun....My dad always plowed snow, so I guess thats were I got it.

Shouldn't weaken it any
  5. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

I wouldent hesitate to drill, shouldent weaken it. I used to have a 79 scout as a kid (18-20) loved that truck. Always wanted a plow, finally got one this year (I'm 41 now) now I just need another scout!!
  6. 68scout

68scout Junior Member

I'm going to go ahead and do it today. That way I can Pin it in 5 positions

I finished up the painting mostly.

They are calling for a possible whopping 2 - 4 inches over the weekend in a freak storm.

Hopefully it will be enough to at least test it out:D

It does Rock from side to side a bit much but I have been spraying down the center pivot nut with PB blaster and will attempt to loosen it again today and shim with some Teflon Washers for this season, unless I can find a new Bolt.

Another Question: I don't have the power cylinders to angle on, nor am I using the Joystick. It was in sorry shape anyway. I cut one of the cables and installed a T-Handle in the dash and a push button switch. Push T handle in, push button to raise. Pull T-Handle out to lower. Works beautifully but I have been doing a lot of reading and one thing that keeps coming up is "Float".

I am familiar with what that is and how it works. Question is with my set up (old Mark III) when the joystick was centered was it in float? I'm thinking no but am not sure.

With my setup is it better to plow with the T-handle out? Or with the T-handle pushed in and ready to push button to raise?

Or because it's a chain lift it doesn't have float at all?

Here's a pic! Ready for the "snow"

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The answer to your question regarding "float". flow happens when it is in the "down position" (moving the joy stick in the down position). As for the plowing rocking or wobbling. The holes where the "pivot bolt" goes through are oblong (out of round).
  8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Cool truck, I could "play" with that.
  9. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

plow with handle out should have it in float
  10. 68scout

68scout Junior Member

Great info! I figured that might be the way to go!

Well Our big "snowstorm" turned into about 20 minutes of big white beautiful flakes and then it switched to rain. That was the end of that :laughing:

Still want to put some more bracing on the mount/frame before I ever get "serious" with plowing. Also need to re-weld a shock perch mount. The stud I used was a little to long and the weight is bending it.

So what do you think of the redneck setup? Not bad for about $200 total :)