1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing without Plow PKG.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WolfLandscaping, May 20, 2009.

1. I was wondering what is your take on buying a truck with no factory installed plow pkg?
    Good or bad?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of truck?

3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

older trucks I would not worry about it..

newer trucks i would not think about it.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Plow prep is the last thing I'd worry about................unless warranty is your concern.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Only one of our 4 trucks has a plow prep package... never any problems they are all newer trucks ranging from 2000-2004 models.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's under warranty, if it's a diesel it should have the heavier front end anyway.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Plow Prep packages generally consist of things to prevent premature failure of things like the transmission, engine, alternator, battery and/or front end components. So it's a matter of when you want to start paying repair bills because you overheated your engine/transmission etc. Or would you rather put out a few hundred now for coolers, fans, bigger alternator etc?

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ditto ...........

8. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Get a 3/4 ton or larger and don't worry too much about the plow package.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't worry about plow prep pkg.