1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with Wrangler: auto or 5 speed?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chrislierheimer, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chrislierheimer

chrislierheimer Junior Member

Hey, looking at buying a 99-03 Wrangler & putting a Snow-Way 22 on it, to plow by 400' driveway, 3/4 mile private road & my business parking lot (small). I think a 6 cyl Wrangler will do the job. Any recommendations on auto vs 5 speed? Anyone plow with Wranglers? Thanks

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

An stick with do the job it'll just be more frustrating to try and **** and work the plow at the same time. Also, you just have to be careful about riding the clutch. If you ride the clutch to much while your pushing snow things will get ugly. If you go with the manual, get a hand held controller. The sno-way 22 is definitly a good choice. I've heard good things about them.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I personally have never plowed with a stick but I would think that it would be much more cumbersome than running an automatic JMO.

I see that you are looking at our 22 series plow. Thank you for your interest in our products.

4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Trying to **** and work the plow at the same time is always a pain in the ass...

5. trashtrucker200

trashtrucker200 Junior Member
    from pa.

had 2 wranglers w/ plows( meyer) 4 cyl 5sp both. plowed anything with ease. Many driveways and parking lots, not just mine.Stick is no problem.

6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

chris i see your in colorado! come see me in denver and i will help you out!
    thanks
    nick

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm partial to automatics unless it's a floor mount three speed. Had a CJ 7 with a three speed we used as a driveway plow. Loved the up and back ease in the drives.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Plowing with jeep for 21 years (used a pickup first year) Ive had 3 5Sp jeep and 1 Auto jeep....
    Hated the Auto. If you normally drive a stick then get a 5sp if you normally drive an auto better get an auto.

9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

'06 Jeep TJ "Silver"...Plowed all winter (SE WI.) and it (6 sp NSG370) worked real well.

C.

10. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I plow my driveway with my 54 Willys CJ3B 3 speed manual 6' Meyers plow I never get past 2nd gear My manual works fine but my driveway is only about 200'
    Steve

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i like plowing with a auto better...stick is nice but plowing with a auto is so much better..just my 2 cents

13. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Stick Jeep

Had a CJ5 3speed stick (4cyl) Plowed 20 drives and 2 lots. My leg got tired after about 5 hrs! Worked OK but a little slow. Cold too with rag top! Didn"t even turn on the heater. It would fog up the window.

14. Let_It_Snow

Let_It_Snow Junior Member

Plowed for years with a stick and it works okay...but plowing with an automatic is much easier.

15. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Stick

Made this little thing to mount to the gear shift, works sweet. The middle hole usually has a toggle for the add-on backup lights, but I'm replacing them. Also put a "tractor ball" on the wheel for one-handing it.

4-speed transmission lets me take the RPMs up without the transmission shifting up. Keeps the power in the push, not to mention keeps the battery charged without problem.

I shift between jobs, and to back up, which you would have to do anyway. This took me less than half an hour, and really makes it sweet. Still got a free hand for the coffee any time I'm not making the short runs.

DSC00251.jpg

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer makes a system for mounting a slic stik on the shifter

17. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I had a 87 4.0L with a 7' Meyers on it, 5 speed, great plow rig for residential driveways! Never had any problems with it, it's really like having a 1/2 ton truck with solid axle in the front. Nice and small for maneuverability.

18. Plow Man Jim

Plow Man Jim Junior Member
    from Iowa

I just put a Meyers 6.5 Poly Blade on my 1995" Jeep cherokee. It is an auto it's my first time with a blade so I'm hoping all go's well. I'm in the midle of Iowa so sometimes we get a good snow once in a while. Might get up to four Inches tonight. I'm sure hoping so I can try her out soon..L.O.L. All I know is this if all there was between you and the snow was a shovel it would snow every day.. Come on Snow.. Let her f ly....

19. Plow Man Jim

Plow Man Jim Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey Plow boy where you at in Iowa. I'm just North of FortDodge a few miles?