1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with Wrangler 4 cyl

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Nov 11, 2003.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

First of all, thanks to everyone who has already given me advice in this forum.

I am shopping for a used Jeep Wrangler to use as a residential plow vehicle. I am finding a lot of 4 cyl Wranglers, but not many 6 cyl. Does anyone here plow with a 4 cyl? If so, please give me advice as to how it does. Also, if you do use a 4 cyl, are you using an auto or manual tranny.

I am expecting to do around 20 driveways, with a maximum of 2 events per year. Thanks again for advice.

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Although i have never used a wrangler to plow with. from the sound of it if you only get 2 events max per season it doesnt seem that you would be pushing a whole lot of snow. the 4 cyl will probaly work fine for what your useing it for. after plowing with both a manual and an auto tranny i tend to prefur the auto. Its nice not to have to keep shifting. although you probaly wouldnt get through many gears in a res driveway. so it basicly boils down to which you feel more comfortable with.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My dad just brought a 1994 jeep wrangler with 4cyl, 5spd. we will be adding a plow to it soon. the 4cyl is powerful enough for 2 snow events a year. with only 20 accounts you will be just fine i think :)

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah you can use a jeep wrangler 4cyl my friend started plowing with a 60 hp jeep with a real old meyers just but wieght in the rear deep snow u might wanna invest in some chains but wranglers are pretty tough throw on a meyers 7.0

5. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am glad to hear the wrangler will handle plow chores with the 4 cyl. I plowed in upstate NY during the late 60's with a 1959 CJ5, 4 cylinder, and with chains on all 4 it was unstoppable. I just wasn't sure if the newer jeeps were built as tough as the old ones were.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who is currently plowing with the 4 cyl, especially if with auto transmission. I am also starting to look for a good used plow.....6.5' or 7' that could be used on a jeep. Used plows are non existent in NC, so if anyone has a lead on a good deal please keep me in mind. I don't mind traveling as far as PA or NY to pick it up. Thanks.

6. penberth

penberth Member

Keep your eye's peeled on eBay. I did a quick search for "plow" on eBay Motors...here is a Meyer 6.5', so far at $57.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2442172460&category=6755

I don't know if it included the pump and headgear or not though.

7. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

95 4cyl

We use a 95 jeep 4Cly with a 7' Myers and beefed up springs, it is a 5 speed,with granny low! We use it in all of our clearing operations, It is perfect for close quarters, drivethrus and driveways. In fact it plow thru the presidents day storm fine. It is not a tank, plow smart and you will be fine.

8. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

i use a 98 wrangler 6 cyl 5 speed and it's great,but i'd rather have an automatic. My friend has a 4 cyl and it plows almost as well as mine,but don't get the 4cyl auto it's underpowered for pushing snow.